Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Walkthrough
Table of Contents
Mission 2: Inferno
- The next mission will be a mostly air defense, and you’ll have your pick of four different aircraft. Two fill fighter roles, they’re for air combat against other fights. The second two are multirole aircraft, with air and ground weapon capabilities.
- There are no ground forces for this mission. A strong loadout here is the F-16C Fighting Falcon, giving you a choice between the QAAM and the 4AAM.The QAAM is a versatile Quick Target Air-to-Air Missile that’s great for picking off single targets due to its great maneuverability at close range. The 4AAM, as you’ve seen already, is for destroying groups of air targets at once.
- Your weapon loadout is all about your preferences, so choose which you prefer. If you don’t like chasing down lots of easy TGT aircraft, pick the 4AAM. If you’d prefer a weapon that can quickly target TGT_LEAD aces in DFM, pick the QAAM.
- Press down on the stick to switch viewing options. The third-person perspective is the handiest for aircraft, giving you a good view of your aircraft and surroundings. But, once again, it’s all about preference, give all three settings a shot.
- Take off, and you’ll spot a swarm of MiGs right away. This is where TGT_LEAD becomes dangerous, and you’ll want to watch for them.
- If you try to hunt down TGT_LEAD first, you’ll also have to worry about the rest of the bandits chasing or shooting at you. You’re vulnerable while in DFM, often it’s better to clear out the regular bandit TGT aircraft first before trying to handle TGT_LEAD.
- While in DFM, if you’re being targeted by enemy aircraft, you can quickly disengage to avoid damage.
- Destroying the first group of bandits, and you’ll be requested to aid in the defense of an oil field nearby. Fly towards the field, more MiG-21s will try to stop you. Usually every group of bandits will included at least one TGT_LEAD.
- Over the oil field, you’ll meet a particularly tricky TGT_LEAD that will attempt to counter-DFM. Hit the shoulder buttons while a large red diagonal pointer icon appears over your targeting reticule. Immediately hit the machine gun to shred an opponent trying to counter-DFM you.
- This is also a good time to learn about flares. Press the left stick to disrupt enemy missiles, you have a limited number of flares, so make them count. Also remember that flares need to be reloaded after every use, so expect a cool-down period between uses.
- With the Oil Plant now partially safe, the Allied Base now needs help against enemy bombers. Before reaching the base, you’ll have enough group of MiGs to deal with. They’ll only slow you down.
- The TGT_LEAD for the MiGs will give you some trouble, stick with him and slow down to slightly to keep yourself oriented correctly. Keep hitting him with missiles, he won’t be able to use his flares more than once in a period of time.
- More TGT aircraft are coming to attack the Oil Plant. This time you’ll be largely outnumbered by TGT_LEAD aircraft, so pick your target and use the DFM to take the TGT_LEAD aircraft down.
- With those TGT aircraft down, the MiGs will break off and retreat. Chase them down and start swatting them out of the sky, just try to take out as many as you can, as you fly closer to the outskirts in the plains southeast of the Oil Plant, more MiGs with TGT_LEAD aircraft will show up to make your life difficult.
- While pursuing, Red Moon 1 will be shot down. Fly in close and follow the prompt to get a look at him safely ejected.
- Don’t gawk for long. Clear the skies to keep Major Illich (Red Moon 1) safe until he lands. You don’t need to shoot down every enemy aircraft, just those marked with the red TGT tag. Clear them out and you’ve completed this mission.
Return to the Walkthrough Main Page.