Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Walkthrough
Table of Contents
Mission 3: Red Moon
- Changing things up again, it’s time for an assault helicopter mission. This time you only have one choice – the AH-64D Apache Longbow, but you do have a choice of special weapons. The 4AGM is a simultaneous air-to-ground missile that targets four vehicles at once, while the AAM is a single air-to-air missile.
- There are air targets in this mission, in the form of Hind-Ds near the end that will give you problems, but mostly you’ll be dealing with ground targets. Take the 4AGM, unless you’re really afraid of using your machine gun to shoot down Hind-Ds.
- The Apache is a different animal than the jet, and this is a new style of play to the Ace Combat series. You’ll start with a short tutorial teaching you the controls, then the real action begins.
- For these helicopter missions, scroll through the three viewing options. The simple first-person HUD without the cockpit is the best for these missions, as it’s completely unobtrusive, but it looks rather bland in comparison to the other two. Pick whichever you like, but if you feel like the helicopter is blocking your view, switch to first-person HUD.
- For this mission, fly low as you close in on the waypoint ahead. The hill compound is covered with AA guns and rocket soldiers.
- Staying low is an effective way to avoid AA guns or missiles while controlling the helicopter, especially in urban environments. Always check the roofs first, that’s where rocket or missile troopers will usually be waiting to lock-on to your helicopter.
- You can also perform a special dodge maneuver if you see a rocket flying at you, or if you’re a good shot, just shoot it down mid-flight.
- Another handy tool for the helicopter is the zoom-in feature. When zoomed-in, the Helicopter will target the enemy closest to your reticule and lock-on, allowing you to circle and strafe around the target without losing it until you release the zoom-in.
- SAM trucks should be targeted with your special weapons or dumb missiles to get rid of them quickly. Luckily, these trucks are easier to pick out than rocket soldiers, but definitely harder to kill with just the default machine gun.
- Clear the compound on the hill before heading into the urban environment below. While in the city, Nomad will attempt to land in separate locations while being menaced by groups of enemies that show up in red circle on your radar.
- When a red circle pops up, fly towards it and the group will appear as blips on your radar. After destroying the first check point. Move in and clear out the second, just look out for that SAM.
- Next, you’ll need to clear two landing zones for Nomad in two separate sections of the city. Try to follow the city outskirts, as more enemies will pop out of the streets or rooftops and take you by surprise if you’re not careful.
- Don’t fly directly over the waypoint circle, just near them and circle around to safely clear out the enemies. Right now, you aren’t protecting anyone, but you will be later, so take your time now.
- Destroy both checkpoints, and a mass of soldiers will appear in the large central building. Clear them out with a rocket barrage, and Nomad will drop off soldiers.
- The helicopters are moving in to land now, so take off for the city outskirts and clear out the reformed checkpoint before your helicopters take too much fire.
- This is an escort mission now, and keeping those helicopters safe is your top priority. Clear out the landing zones before moving back to the central large building where soldiers are dropping onto the roof.
- Rebel forces are closing in on the central building, so start picking them off before they get inside the compound. Defend each of the landing zones, mostly surrounded by simple soldiers, so you’ll be relatively safe.
- Once the Delta Operators land, they become priority. Defend them as they fight their way to the central building, through the streets. Red hot spots will pop up on your radar, so be ready to change positions and help clear the street of enemies.
- Be very careful with your special weapons here, letting too many of the Operators die or killing them will be a Game Over.
- As the Delta Operators of Nomad advance, new combat areas will pop up, just keep clearing the areas to make progress. Watch out for technicals zipping up the road, just lock-on and lead them with your machine gun to take them out.
- As the Delta teams arrive at the central building, more technicals will zip through the streets towards them. Shoot them down with your machine gun, and don’t forget to lead them.
- Afterwards, the central building’s front yard will fill with infantry and rocket soldiers, as well as a nasty tank that can hurt the defenseless allies below. Spray down the courtyard with your dumb rocket barrage to put the hurt on the infantry, while clearing out the roof of missile soldiers. Make the tank priority before it hurts too many of your allies.
- As the Delta soldiers move into the building, groups of technicals will try to use the narrow streets to surround them. Destroy the lead vehicles and clear them out.
- Next up are Hind-Ds, and these are a problem for your Apache. The only weapon that can accurately target them is your machine gun, so lock-on and plink away while circling the Hinds to avoid taking too much fire in return.
- Once the two enemy helos are down, a third will show up. Try to destroy these as fast as you can, as more problems are about to head your way. Keep shooting, don’t let your MG overheat, and evade when the Hinds launch missiles.
- As the third Hind arrive, before too long, you’ll get an event. Major Illich is being taken away by a group of rebels to a set of trucks. Even if the Hind is still after you, destroy those trucks before the rebels reach them.
- Without the trucks, the rebels can’t escape. Destroy the Hind, then carefully pick off the rebels holding Illich with your machinegun.
- Illich will run back to your allies once the rebels are taken care of. That just about completes your work here, but not quite. Another event will pop, and you’ll be prompted to check out some fleeing vehicles on a hill outside the town.
- Take them out to complete the mission, and enjoy your surprise.
Return to the Walkthrough Main Page.