Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Walkthrough
Table of Contents
Mission 4: Spooky
- Remember Modern Warfare, anyone? This takes the action a step-up with the AC-130, a flying gunship armed with three distinct weapons with a special level of zoom for each.
- The three guns available are the 25mm, the 40mm, and the 120 mm. The 25 mm has the closest zoom, and is perfect for picking out targets on the ground while protecting infantry. The 40mm is great for taking out fast-moving vehicles, or just getting a good view of your surroundings, while the 120 mm makes a huge explosion, taking out large groups of opponents in one shot. But, it also has an excruciatingly long reload, so switch to another weapon after using it.
- This mission moves directly into the next, so pick the aircraft best used to anti-air combat. The MiG-29A Fulcrum is a good new choice, and has access to QAAM and 4AAM. The 4AAM is best used at long-range against normal TGT pilots, while the QAAM is best used while in DFM. Pick your poison.
- Starting off, you only have some hostile vehicles to deal with. Scan every area you pass through, as your reticule passes by enemies, they’ll light up white. Otherwise, they can be tricky to spot, so keep a careful eye and watch where bullet trails have their source.
- Next up, switch to the 25 mm and spray down the infantry running towards the ruins. Most of the time, you can expect enemy vehicles to be moving on the roads, and especially look out for buildings. This isn’t always the case, sometimes infantry or vehicles will be out in the open, so just keep scanning.
- This mission is all about quick timing and fast reflexes, you’ll need to clear out enemies fast to keep your teams protected.
- Moving into a small town, start clearing out rebels fast. The first group is near the center of the town, at the turn in the road. Blast them with the 120 mm, then watch out for more incoming fire. Switch to the 40 mm and clean up, there are some move rebels hiding among the buildings not so far off.
- Rebel convoys will also move into the town from both roads. Watch the roads for clusters of vehicles and take them out with the 40 mm.
- As the helicopters approach to drop troops, look out for AA turrets as the appear. They’ll be just off the road, their bullet trails give them away, but they’re tiny targets, even with the 40 mm camera. Make sure the turrets are cleared as the helicopters arrive, or they’ll be chewed to pieces.
- As Delta lands, they become your protection priority. Keep your camera on them, and watch any area they’re about to move into for hostiles. Be very wary of friendly fire, the 25 mm is your best friend here.
- The town is full of hostile infantry, so watch all three teams as they move down the streets. The Delta boys can take care of themselves to a point, but as vehicles arrive, you’ll need to help out. Watch the main road and destroy any cars as they come.
- As the Delta operators near the ruins, they’ll come under fire from multiple sources. Follow the bullet paths and clear those areas out, just avoid using the 120 mm or you’ll get chewed out for destroying the culturally significant ruins.
- Stick with the 40 mm and 25 mm, snipers and infantry are hiding in several locations, with lots of infantry right at the entrance into the ruins. As always, be careful with your cannons and don’t hit your allies.
- As the Delta soldiers move forward, they’ll come under mortar attack. Watch for where the mortar shells originate, then hit those areas with 40 mm shells, just to make sure. The mortars are tiny targets, but their shells light up bright on your screen.
- Hostile vehicles will drive towards the Delta team, so take them out with the 40 mm. You’ll also have to worry about AA Missile Infantry now, as they’ll try to take pot shots at your ACU-130. These guys are tough to spot, but their missiles can be shot out of the sky with your 25 mm, if you’re a good shot.
- As the Delta operators reach the hills, four bunkers will appear on the map. These are tough nuts to crack, so use your 120 mm cannon to destroy the first two bunkers closest to your allies before moving onto the second set.
- Beyond the bunkers are plenty of AA turrets, and swarms of infantry. Destroy the bunkers still standing after that 120 mm shell with your 40 mm, and mop up the infrantry moving towards your allies.
- With that, the Delta soldiers have reached their objective safely. Until they’re ready to leave, it’s your job to wantonly destroy more of the rebel’s ground forces.
- Watch the airfield ahead and keep your reticule on the runway. Aircraft are trying to take off, don’t let them. Take out the lead aircraft with the 120 mm, or use the 40 mm and just aim ahead of them. With those taxing aircraft down, clean up the remaining targets.
- When they’re clear, Spooky will take off towards the objective evac point. On the way, you’ll come under heavy AA fire. Allies will run from a large trench cut into the ground, so just keep popping away at any targets nearby.
- Vehicles and soldiers will exit from buildings near the trench, watch all the roads leading towards your allies, and switch cameras to get a larger overview of the battlefield before returning to the 25 mm for some close-air support.
- Keep picking apart targets, you’re almost done here. More SAMs will start appearing now, and they can really lay the hurt on your aircraft. Eventually the team will board a helicopter safely, except one man. You’ll be picking him up the hard way.
- Protect the single soldier, vehicles and infantry will close in on all sides. Be quick to identify targets and take them out, don’t linger on anyone too long, and just use your 40 mm to quickly clear out infantry groups.
- More AA missile infantry will attack, anywhere you see a truck with infantry standing still nearby, know that they’re AA infantry, and will try to hit you with missiles. Take them out fast or they’ll be harassing you for the rest of the mission.
- Moving in to rescue the lone soldier, the winds will get nasty, making your job of clearing the vast amount of AA on the ground tricky. Switch to the 120 mm to try and hit one target at least, you won’t have much time, but your accuracy will be so poor, you can practically only hit with the 120 mm until the plane levels out.
- Recovering the balloon and soldier for a final pass, you’ll be hammered by AA, but there isn’t much you can do, just try to destroy as many opponents as possible.
- That’s mission complete, good work!
Return to the Walkthrough Main Page.