Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Walkthrough
Table of Contents
Mission 8: Pipeline
- Welcome to Russia, where the real war is. This mission is a multirole Anti-Air/Ground Mission. You’ll want to take a ground-based special weapon, like the 4AGM.
- You’ll have access to some other ground-based weaponry, like the GPB, or guided penetration bomb. This weapon is best used for close air support, which you’ll use in this mission to great effect. The LAGM (Long-range Air-to-Ground Missile) is really only effective against hard targets, and you’ll be up against swarms.
- You’ll want a special weapon that can crush large groups of ground targets. Take the 4AGM, the RKTL (Rocket Launcher), or the UGB (Unguided Bomb). Personally, I find the 4AGM easiest to use, but give all of these weapons a try.
- Ground-based weaponry really comes to its own in this battle, and you’ll see why as we move in. Take an aircraft, equip a special weapon, and prepare for a tough fight.
- Fly towards the city and a flight of bandits will intercept. You’ll be dealing with fewer and fewer TGT_LEAD opponents while in Russia, as the regular enemies are just as good now. Start picking off TGT aircraft at your leisure, there’s no timetable, not yet anyway.
- These bandits will try to chase you just as often as you try to chase them. Use counter maneuvers to quickly take these bandits out, or tail them at long-range to score easy kills with your missiles. If your target is flying away from you, instead of perpendicular to your position, you can score a hit.
- When those targets are clear, the Russia Army will request support fighting the NRF on the beaches. This is where ASM is introduced. ASM, or Air Strike Mode, improves your performance while fighting enemies, only on the ground instead of in the air.
- Like DFM, you lock-on to a target and hit the shoulder buttons once the green circle appears. Unlike DFM, you must lock-on to a waypoint triangle connected with a line showing you your ASM path.
- While in ASM, you’ll fly slower and your weapons will reload much faster, letting you barrage an area with special equipment and missiles. Your machine gun is very effective against ground targets, so don’t forget to use it.
- Often you’ll only have one chance during ASM to eliminate every target. Make sure to target the enemies labeled with TGT to clear the area. You can ignore the rest, but it’ll make your life easier if you just destroy everything.
- After clearing out ASM Entry A, you’ll be directed to ASM Entry B. Same thing as before, fly low and take out everything, but make sure to target the enemies labeled TGT, they’re the most important.
- Afterwards, you’ll have two ASM Entries to deal with. Perform both, but move fast and don’t sit around, your allies need help fighting, and they’ll need help destroying the enemy before their torn apart.
- If your allies die, you lose, so move quickly and pick apart the enemy positions. It doesn’t matter which ASM point you use, just do both, and clear the way.
- There will also be bandits flying in the skies, they’ll try to fire missiles at you, so remember to use flares while in ASM or you’ll make an easy target for enemy missiles.
- While performing ASM, make sure to pick off any helicopters that your ground-based special weapons won’t target. Their markers will be X’ed out, making them easy to spot.
- Once both ASM entries are finished, pick off the few aircraft in the sky. There aren’t many, making this part a breeze.
- Things won’t stay nice for long. Find the new ASM entry as it appear, and start bombing the hell out of the enemy ground forces. They’ll have large concrete towers that are slightly tougher than tanks, but they’re easy to spot, just don’t hit them.
- Next up is a large wing of bandits, they’ll come to you. They’re tricky, and they’ll use the clouds for cover. Just pick them up and drop them with DFM when it’s available.
- The new bandits will be targeting your Russian allies. Most are just fighters, but the red TGT aircraft are armed with ASM capabilities that will shred your allies. Target them first, they’re especially vulnerable while they make their bombing approach.
- Once they’re clear, it’s time to ASM-up the hillside covered in AA and SAM. Stay low to avoid SAM missiles, and hit those flares when necessary.
- The following ASM target is the fortress itself, and it’s well fortified. There will be two Hinds just beyond the walls, so make sure to switch to missiles and take them out.
- Last up is the fortress, and it is covered in AAA defenses. You’ll be eating missiles if you don’t make quick passes, you won’t be able to destroy everything in just one bombing run. Fly off and swing back around to clean up.
- The HQ in the center of the fortress will take almost a dozen missiles before it’s destroyed, all while firing a large amount of AA guns and SAMs. Clear out the rest of the targets, then focus on the HQ, give it a few passes, and you’ll eventually break it down.
- Mission isn’t over yet, Markov stops by to launch an ICBM armed with the Trinity Bomb. Fly after it and enter DFM to shoot it down, just make it snappy, you have very little time. Don’t fly directly at it, it’ll just pass you by, try to trail it and enter DFM from behind.
- Hit it with everything you have. Fly in close and launch missiles while blasting your machine gun. If you keep at it, the missile will go down with barely any time to spare. Mission accomplished.
Return to the Walkthrough Main Page.