Assassin’s Creed Devs ‘Truly Didn’t See’ Controversy Coming
Assassin’s Creed: Unity lead designer Benjamin Plich told GameFront on Thursday that the game’s development team was caught off guard by the controversy regarding the lack of any female assassin avatars in co-op play.
“We truly didn’t see that coming,” Plich said.
Plich clarified further that the co-op characters aren’t customizable player avatars, but simply variations on AC:U main character Arno. “Everybody was saying, ‘You made four characters and weren’t able to make even one female character?’ ” he said, explaining that like Watch_Dogs, players will never see what their characters look like to others in co-op play. The gameplay will account for multiple players but the story will not be affected in any way.
While the admission that Ubisoft didn’t realize the way co-op works would be controversial doesn’t necessarily paint the company in a more favorable light, it is a departure from the tone-deafness which has only worsened the growing controversy. Previously, both AC:U Technical Director James Therien and Far Cry 4 Director Alex Hutchinson have insisted that designing and animating female player characters was simply too difficult for the massive development teams assigned to each game, a claim that was later disputed by a former Assassin’s Creed developer.
Whether or not Ubisoft plans to change Assassin’s Creed: Unity in response to the outcry is, for now, a question the company will not address. “This controversy is very early to say anything about what we’re planning [in response].”
GameFront Contributor Phil Owen contributed reporting to this story.
You can keep up to date with all the E3 news over on our E3 channel.