Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition Release Date Revealed
The “OMG they’re remaking Baldur’s Gate for modern hardware!” thrill fizzed out fairly quickly when Beamdog’s Enhanced Edition launched in late 2012 and early adopters realized they could get nearly everything in the $20 game for free through mods for the original.
Will history repeat itself? We’ll find out on November 15 when Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition launches on PC and Mac.
Beamdog announced the release date today as well as details on what the Enhanced Edition will come packing:
- The entire Baldur’s Gate II: Shadows of Amn adventure and the Throne of Bhaal expansion.
- Four new party members that can join you on your journey.
- The Black Pits 2: Gladiators of Thay – a new quest featuring tactical depth of high-level Dungeons & Dragons combat.
- An upgraded system that makes it easier to find and join multiplayer games.
- Full widescreen support, remastered area artwork from original renders, and a host of other interface and gameplay improvements.
It can all be yours for $25, and Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition is now open for pre-orders.
Based on the info, it sounds like Beamdog is following the same remake blueprint it created for Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition — only for $5 more. So if Baldur’s Gate II is already in your library, you can get nearly everything offered for free through mods. Even if it’s not, you can grab Baldur’s Gate II Complete from GOG.com for just $10 and then mod your way to enhanced goodness. GOG.com even offers an easy to follow guide to quickly get all the necessary Baldur’s Gate II modifications installed.
If you don’t want to bother with mods send $25 Beamdog’s way. On the upside, based on sales of these enhanced editions, Beamdog might actually make Baldur’s Gate III.