Black Mesa is Live, Download it Here!
Without question, Black Mesa is one of the most anticipated mods in years. Originally known as Black mesa: Source (they removed the ‘Source’ at Valve’s request), it began when the teams from two other mods: Leakfree and the Half-Life: Source Overhaul Project, merged to form one super-powerful mod team. Since then, they’ve been working hard at bringing Half-Life over into a much prettier package. It was originally based on the first Source engine, but now uses the 2007 version released with the Orange Box.
Watch Mitchell compare the remake with the original. Find even more videos like this on the Game Front Youtube Channel.
After all these years, Black Mesa is finally upon us. So, what do you need to play it?
- The 2007 Source SDK. You can install this from the Library > Tools menu in Steam. Alternatively, you can just click click this link.
- The Black Mesa mod. Where can you get that? Right here on Game Front. There are three files you need to grab, an installer, an archive, and the MD5 file. Hit the download links below, and get busy playing!!
Black Mesa Installation Troubleshooting Tips
- Verify that the blackmesa.7z and setup.exe files you downloaded are intact, by checking their MD5 hashes. Use this program to do that. Instructions on how to use it are down in the comment section.
- After downloading, put all 3 files in a single folder, and run the setup.exe file. No need to extract the .7z beforehand. The setup process will do that for you automatically.
- If you’re hitting a 502 bad gateway error while trying to open the file pages on Game Front, CTRL+F5 a couple times. They should come back.
- To launch the game, open Steam. Black Mesa should be in your Steam Library now. If it isn’t, try restarting Steam.
- Make sure you have the 2007 Source SDK installed, which is freely available on Steam. Click the dropdown next to the search bar, click “Tools,” and select the SDK. Restart your computer after it’s installed. Alternatively, you can just click this link.
- If the blackmesa.7z file is giving you trouble (i.e. if the setup file “can’t find” the .7z file), try uninstalling and then reinstalling 7-zip.
- Always run the setup.exe file in administrator mode.
How good does Black Mesa look? Watch our Black Mesa vs. Half-Life Comparison Video below and see for yourself.
While you’re at it, subscribe to the Game Front YouTube channel!
And then grab our new FREE iPhone app for our giant library of video walkthroughs!