Blizzard Developer Chat Answers Mist of Pandaria Questions
Earlier tonight, Blizzard hosted a live chat with WoW developers Cory “Mumper” Stockton and Greg “Ghostcrawler” Street. The subject matter was pretty obvious – the new World of Warcraft expansion, Mists of Pandaria. While a lot of the answers were things we’d already heard at Blizzcon last week, we thought we’d sum up the info that was presented.
Below you’ll find the answers given during the chat, organized by topic. Enjoy!
Of course, the biggest questions was this: When will Mists of Pandaria release? Blizzard would only say this: “Based on what we showed at Blizzcon, hopefully sooner rather than later.” Here’s everything else, and what pages you’ll find each topic on.
- Players will get to Pandaria via new quests from Orgrimmar and Stormwind. We have tried to make these quests short and sweet to make sure players can into the new continent as fast as possible.
- You’ll leveling from 85 to 90 on the new continent of Pandaria, of course!
- We will have separate player hubs for both the Horde and Alliance on Pandaria. Separate hubs means we do not have to make them sanctuary and will encourage world PVP. These hubs will have access to an AH, Bank and general vendors. Valor, conquest, profession and faction vendors will be scattered around the world to encourage travel.
- Pandaria is located on the south side of Azeroth. Think the exact opposite of Northrend. Come to think of it, we should have named it Southrend.
- The starting zone for new Pandaren is located on The Wandering Isle (the turtle). The continent of Pandaria itself is not a turtle, its a piece of land.
- We are actually working very hard on this expansion to make it not feel too ‘off-worldly’. Pandaria is based on Asian landscapes but its important to remember that these landscapes need to feel like they fit in Azeroth, not the real world. So far, we feel really great about how we are doing on this. Hopefully that was clear to players at BlizzCon as well!
- The Mists of Pandaria zones themselves are quite large, even bigger when you take into consideration that you will not be able to use your flying mount until level 90. If I was to guess, I would say you could imagine the entire continent feeling like all 5 of the Cataclysm 80-85 zones combined.
- With regard to ‘account-wide’ mounts, we will be testing out account wide features with pet battles and if it proves successful there, we would certainly want to do the same thing with mounts.
- The Padaren racial that grants extra rest XP means their blue bar (rested XP) will last longer before running out
- To avoid Pandaren friending wach other and then choosing different factions, much like the worgen and goblins cannot leave their starting areas, you cannot friend a fellow pandaren until she has chosen her faction.
- We are still working on ideas for the Pandaren mount. An epic turtle is certainly one of the most popular options around the office right now!
- The food buff is the equivalent of racials like the haste or crit buffs of the goblin and worgen.
- We are hoping to implement XP gain for pet battles in a similar way to what players see with gathering professions now. You would not want to level your entire character just on pet battles, but we do think you should be rewarded for participating in it.
- We will let players duel other players that are near them in the world, but we will also have a queuing system you can join to fight against other pet trainers of similar level.
- We will have an option to disable invites to pet battles. Similar to what we have for player duels.
- We intend to create a simple combat system with some engaging depth. We’re still in the process hashing out the details. Suggestions are certainly welcome!
- We are working really, really hard to have spectating for the pet battles. Trust me, we want it just as bad as you guys. Stay tuned.