Borderlands 2: Find this Lord of the Rings Easter Egg & Get Purple Loot
Like these Borderlands 2 unlockables and looking for more? Find a massive compendium of game guides, collectibles, and secrets on Game Front’s free video apps.
Check out GameFront’s iOS Walkthroughs App
Check out GameFront’s Droid Walkthroughs App
Borderlands 2 is chock full of secrets and Easter Eggs, but this might be the most complicated yet. Unlocking this secret event is a quest unto itself. You’ll need to be high enough level to survive and ready for a long trek across Pandora. While it’s a difficult challenge, the rewards are well worth the struggle. You’re guaranteed to find rare purple loot. Check out our full instructions below and discover how to go there and back again.
And yes, this event can be repeated as often as you like.
Get more jokes, references, and secrets with our list of Borderlands 2 easter eggs.
How to find the Lord of the Rings Easter Egg & Get Easy Purple Loot
Note: This event is repeatable.
- To unlock this special event, you’ll first need to travel to the starting area; Claptraps’ Place.
- Inside Claptrap’s Place, pick up an item hidden in the fireplace.
- Next, travel to a special enemy called Geary on the volcano, in the Eridium Blight. You’ll need to travel up the volcano, using the ramps to jump over the lava flow to reach Geary.
- You cannot fast-travel or die on your way to Geary. You’ll need to follow a specific path to reach him.
- Note: Vehicles may now be prohibited. You might have to do this one all on foot.
- To reach Geary with the special item, start from the Fireplace and go to each area in this order; Claptrap’s Place, Southern Shelf, Three Horns – Divide, Three Horns – Valley, The Dust, and the Eridium Blight.
- When you find Geary partially up the volcano, don’t attack him. Geary is a runty psycho bandit that will die in one hit, but will also drop rarity head items. If you want, Geary can be farmed for rarity heads, as he’ll always respawn in the area even if you don’t follow this method.
- Don’t kill Geary! Let him hit you once. After he attacks, he’ll run off the cliff and dive into the lava.
- Only let him hit you once. Once he jumps into the lava, look to the skies.
- Three Rakk will fly over your locations and deliver three loot chests. One of these chests will always drop purple loot.
- This is a reference to the Lord of the Rings series of books by J.R. Tolkien, in which a hero takes a secret ring from a fireplace and travels to a volcano to dispose of it — until it’s stolen by a psychopath who drops into the lava anyway. The heroes are then rescued by three birds from the erupting volcano.
[Credit goes to Awexdio of the Gearbox Community Forums.]
[Pic from Youtube User calvinPorkzter]
Find more extras, tips, cheats and secrets with Game Front’s Channel on Youtube, featuring Zac, Mitch, and James.