Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Adds WATCH Menu & GOTV Theater
Today’s CS:GO patch (full log is below) adds two new features to the game: The WATCH Menu, and GOTV Theater. Valve has designed WATCH to be the in-game eSports hub; you can view your own stats and match history, as well as watch recordings of your recent games. If watching the pros is more your speed, WATCH also serves up live matches involving the top CS players in the world, including the likes of Ninjas in Pyjamas and compLexity.
GOTV is an extension of WATCH’s pro feature…almost like a Red Zone Channel for CS fans. The Theater option keeps the matches coming — a steady stream of live matches coming in from around the world.
Counter-Strike has always been a popular game in the eSports scene, but its popularity in the US has dropped off since the heady days of 1.6 and early CS: Source competition. North American teams like compLexity are starting to make a splash in international competition again, which will hopefully lead to more U.S. interest in the competitive scene.
Here are the release notes for today’s update:
Release Notes for 10/10/2013
- Improved grenade physics interaction with player models. Grenades bounce off player hitboxes instead of the overall player bounding volume.
- Improved bomb-planting player animation to prevent unintentionally standing when the plant completes. (Thanks Friberg!).
- Re-added support for alternate firing accuracy. This effectively buffs burst fire on the glock and the famas.
- Fixed minor bugs in cs_siege and de_ruins.
- Added the WATCH menu
– Watch live, in-progress matches played by highly-ranked CS:GO players
– Access your match history and review the scoreboard for your previous matches
– Download and watch any of your recent matches.
– Select ‘GOTV Theater’ to watch a continuous stream of live matches.
- Pausing/disabling of the GOTV autodirector has been reverted to the old behavior.
- Fixed a bug that allowed you to see the other team’s weapons in a competitive game via the spectator menu if you were the last person to die on your team.
- Fixed a case where spectator weapon panel would be missing the weapon in GOTV and demos.
- Fixed a case where the code version of the weapon name would show up in the freeze panel.
- Fixed the Team Value numbers not switching properly after halftime in GOTV or demo playback.
- The bomb icon is now colored in the spectator view so it’s more visible.
- Fixed “Bad sequence in GetSequenceName” viewmodel console warnings.