Crystal Quest Update and Poker Smash on XBLA This Week
It’s hard to really have a good week on Xbox Live Arcade after last week saw Rez released, but Poker Smash (800 points, $10) and an update to Crystal Quest will do their best. Before you draw any negative conclusions about Poker Smash (like I did), Poker Smash isn’t another poker game for XBLA. It’s more of a puzzle game with a poker theme; think match-three games where you’re trying to make poker hands. Sounds interesting.
Also new on XBLA tomorrow is an update to Crystal Quest which should radically alter the way scoring works. Score multipliers will be introduced to the game, meaning leaderboards will be reset, although the old leaderboards will be archived.
Hit the break for more details on both the update and Poker Smash.
Crystal Quest update:
Developer Stainless Games has added a fresh twist to the puzzle action by incorporating a score multiplier. This update will make the game slicker and faster than before and opens up the possibility of even higher scores!
The score multiplier increases every time gamers pick up a crystal, but failing to pick up a crystal or getting zapped negates the multiplier. To keep a level playing field, old Leaderboards will be retired after the update, but will still be viewable for posterity’s sake. The update also includes improvements to downloadable content, which is part of Stainless Games’ ongoing commitment to constantly improve the player experience.
Poker Smash™ is an action-packed puzzle game with a poker twist. Poker Smash expands on the traditional match-three puzzle mechanic with elements of one of the world’s most popular card games: poker. Make vertical and horizontal matches by forming poker hands, and play in seven different game modes, including multiplayer. Fast and fluid controls paired with radical features such as super-slow motion and card-blasting bombs make this game a whole new puzzle experience!
- Innovative gameplay: Match-three gameplay with a twist. Create poker hands and form chains to rack up the big score.
- Seven game modes: Intense game modes include action, timed, puzzle levels (55 of them), practice, custom playlist, split screen head-to-head, and multiplayer tournaments.
- Multiplayer experience: Two-player offline and multiplayer over Xbox LIVE® is featured.
- New leaderboards: In addition to the traditional leaderboards, Poker Smash features never-before-seen rivalry tracking and even movie recording with shared playback.
- Immersive environment: The next-gen 3-D graphics feature eleven different highly detailed environments and background themes, coupled with thirteen new original soundtracks for play.