Dark Souls 2: Bonfire Ascetics – Uses & Locations Guide
Find and farm for rare Bonfire Ascetics in Dark Souls 2 with our locations guide below. These valuable items are tough to find for a good reason — use too many, and the difficulty goes through the roof.
Burning ascetics at a bonfire respawns every enemy and boss nearby while bumping up the difficulty. And it stacks up. Check out how to find them, where to buy them, and what to do to farm them in the guide below.
Crush every challenge with some helpful advice from our undead hero Mitch on the Dark Souls 2 video walkthrough — with boss monster break downs for every progress-stopping fight. Or check out the Dark Souls 2 cheats list to find item locations, secrets, and expoits.
Bonfire Ascetics – Uses & Locations Guide
What is a Bonfire Ascetic?
- The Bonfire Ascetic is a rare, valuable item in Dark Souls 2. It comes in limited quantities because it can both help or hinder your game.
- Before burning a Bonfire Ascetic at a bonfire, learn all about its uses — and where to find them for free in the sections below.
The Bonfire Ascetic has three major effects:
- 1. Resetting depleted enemies and bosses.
- 2. Increasing enemy difficulty.
- 3. Increasing enemy soul drops.
Other Effects of the Bonfire Ascetic
WARNING: The effects of a Bonfire Ascetic are PERMANENT. The difficulty increase will carry-over to each level of NG+.
- Using a Bonfire Ascetic will not reset the game world. Merchant inventory, NPC locations, or shortcuts are unchanged and unique scenarios will not repeat.
Character Creation: Can be taken as a starting item during character creation.
- Lost Bastille: Found in the prison tower before reaching Sinner’s Rise. Look for a door opening out to a narrow ledge below. Drop down to find the Ascetic on the dead body.
- Brightstone Cove Tseldora: After completing the Prowling Magus boss encounter, turn around and look for a ladder leading up into an attic with Cromwell the Pardoner inside. Look near the NPC to find an ascetic.
- Dragon Shrine: Three are found in a large chest near the start of the area. Enter the first unlocked door to the right of the first enemy encounter.
Merchant Locations – Where to Buy:
- Stone Trader Chloanne: First appears near the entrance to Harvest Valley, on a cliff with a good view of the Earthen Peak in the distance. Talk to her and she’ll return to Majula. Sells only 1 Bonfire Ascetic.
- Royal Sorcerer Navlaan: Appears behind a magical seal, down the right path on the first floor of Aldia’s Keep. While human, he will sell 10 Bonfire Ascetics.
- Darkdiver Grandahl: After joining the Pilgrims of the Dark Covenant, he will sell 10 Bonfire Ascetics. Learn more about the Pilgrims of the Dark below.
How to Farm Bonfire Ascetics:
- Bonfire Ascetics are very rare and are sold in limited supply. To find as many as you want, you’ll need to join the Pilgrims of the Dark.
- How? Find all three of Darkdiver Grandahl’s hiding spots. Learn where to find them on the Dark Chasm of Old secret locations guide.
- Once you join the Pilgrims of the Dark Covenant, you’ll have to sacrifice Human Effigies to open a portal into the extremely difficult area. The enemies inside the Dark Chasm of Old reliably drop Bonfire Ascetics.
- To reset the enemies inside, only use Bonfire Ascetics on the bonfire near the Drangleic Castle portal. Using ascetics on this bonfire will only effect the portal.
More Dark Souls 2 item locations, secrets, and extras.
Dark Souls 2: How to Fight the Secret Darklurker Optional Boss
Dark Souls 2: Secret Dragon Memory Location
Dark Souls 2: Fragrant Branch of Yore Locations Guide
Dark Souls 2: How to Open Forgotten Doors & Find Havel’s Armor
Dark Souls 2: How to Get Down the Pit in Majula
Dark Souls 2: How to Join Every Covenant – Locations Guide
Dark Souls 2: How to Open the Mansion Door in Majula