Defiance Going Free-to-Play in June
Gaming’s only MMO with a SyFy tie-in series is going free-to-play in June, at least on the PC.
This morning, a Trion press release revealed that sci-fi shooter MMO Defiance will be going free-to-play June 4 on PC. The PlayStation 3 version will follow suit on July 15, with the exact date for the 360 version still up in the air. The current payment model functions similar to that of Guild Wars 2, requiring only that you purchase the game to play it forever.
New players will be able to jump play through all of the original content and future missions completely free. Trion confirms that new missions are on the way, alongside the second season of the TV show, which kicks off on June 19.
If you’re one of those folks who already owns a digital or physical copy of Defiance, Trion has a few things for you. You’ll receive all of the following:
- A grant of 1,000 Arkforge, a currency redeemable for resetting weapon mastery, upgrading your weapon’s power rating, or even bumping an uncommon weapon to epic rarity.
- 4 Character Slots, 5 Loadouts, up to 75 Ark Keycodes, and a minimum 70 Inventory Slots.
- Thirty days of Paradise Patron status when Defiance begins its free-to-play service.
The Patron pass will grant you additional goodies for 30 days, including:
- Boosts to skill, XP, scrip, salvage, and reputation gain rates that stack with the matching boosts available in the game’s store.
- 10% store-wide discount on all items
- A grab bag of one-hour boosts or Arkforge from Daily and Weekly Ark Hunter Bonus Lock Boxes. Console players will need to link their accounts to receive this bonus.
You can find out more about the move to free-to-play in our interview with Defiance Lead Designer Trick Dempsey.