Descent Being Recreated in UDK
I’m sure that many of you who played PC games in the ’90s have fond memories of Descent, the six-degrees-of-freedom FPS that made us more disoriented than a ride at Six Flags. Well, a modder/indie dev is working on recreating the original Descent in Epic’s UDK.
He’s only been at it a few weeks and has already accomplished the following:
- Complete 6DOF movement with proper acceleration on every axis and double/triple chording
- Weapon system basics for primary and secondary weapons that can be fired simultaneously
- Laser and ball fire projectiles
- Basic robot AI, currently tailored to the Class 1 and 2 Drone
- Spawn points for easy placement of robots in a map
The dev has no plans on stopping there, however. The following features are in the pipeline:
- A retelling of the original story
- Remakes of the original levels, with an emphasis on a thriller/horror atmosphere
- Remodeled and animated original robots with advanced AI
- All the weapons from Descent with potential new ones mixed in
- High-detail Pyro-GX ship model with 3D cockpit view
- More diverse gameplay, but with a strong focus on the basics that made Descent great
Check out his work in progress:
I played the hell out of that map in Unreal Tournament 3, but I’ve never played it with six-degrees-of-freedom movement. Looking promising.
For more information, or to find out how you can help with this project, visit the official website.