Diablo 3 Got You Down? Try Path of Exile
If you’re disappointed in Diablo 3 as a sequel to the franchise, you may want to check out the dark indie action RPG Path of Exile, which is currently in beta. Visually, Path of Exile feels like a spiritual successor to the Diablo series, with gritty, realistic graphics an macabre tone.
Unfortunately, Path of Exile does have an online-only requirement — but the clincher is that it’s completely free to play. It also already includes a PvP element, with random arenas, a ranking system, seasonal ladders and unique PvP item rewards.
A quick glance at the game‘s six classes shows parallels with Diablo 2: Marauder (Barbarian), Ranger (Amazon), Witch (Sorceress), Templar (Paladin), Shadow (Assassin), and Duelist (no clean match), and the level cap of 100 is just a hare off D2′s cap of 99.
- Completely free to download and play
- A persistent online world capable of supporting hundreds of thousands of players
- A dark and gritty game world rendered from a fixed 3D perspective
- Battle dozens of foes across a variety of unique areas
- Randomly generated levels and items for extreme replayability
- Online ranking and ladders for every game mode
- Visceral combat with dozens of combinable skills
- Battle in PVP tournaments for worldwide recognition
Sign up for the beta on the official website.