Diablo 3: How to Find Development Hell [Secret Level]
Diablo 3 is packed with secrets and easter eggs for eager players to uncover. Everyone knew there would be a “Cow Level” like in Diablo 2, but who knew there’d be a special crypt where the developers at Blizzard were put to rest? Disturb their deathly sleep and find a hidden area filled with zombies named after Diablo 3 staff. If you can survive, you might even find the Game Director himself, Jay Wilson, as a rare monster. Destroying him will unlock special rewards, like a sigil to show off. Find Development Hell yourself with our guidelines below.
WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD
How to Find Development Hell
This is a living document — check back as we provide new updates, or leave a suggestion in the comments.
- The secret area can be found in Act 1, during the quest “A Shattered Crown.”
- While on the quest, you can enter three areas called Defiled Crypts. Randomly, instead of being taken to a Defiled Crypt, you’ll appear in Development Hell.
- A giant monster named after the Game Director for Diablo 3, Jay Wilson, will appear at the end of the crypt. The rest of the undead enemies are named after members of the Diablo 3 development staff, with their job title in the monster’s description.
- Defeating Jay Wilson will reward players with the achievement “Smash! Jay, Smash!” and a Banner Sigil.
- To find Development Hell, you may need to return to the area after completing the quest. Use the “Change Quest” command to return to already completed areas and try to uncover the event.
- Some players report you may need to play the game at Nightmare Difficulty or higher. Goodluck uncovering this hidden tomb!