Diablo 3: How to Unlock Whimsyshire [Secret Cow Level]
The Secret Cow Level was so famous in Diablo 2, so Blizzard naturally had to replicate their previous success in Diablo 3. But, Blizzard didn’t rest on their laurels and make a carbon copy of the Cow Level — not at all, they’ve expanded. Here you’ll learn all about the Secret Level in Diablo 3, and how to unlock it step by step. Take the journey into a terrifying land of evil Unicorns, and bring a hunting party with you.
How To Unlock the Secret Cow Level
This is a living document — check back as we provide new updates, or leave a suggestion in the comments.
- The key to unlocking the secret level is the Staff of Herding. To craft it, you’ll need a rare recipe, 5 rare items, and 150,000 gold on Normal.
- To craft the Staff of Herding, you’ll first need to find the recipe. It’s been reported to drop in Act 4 on Normal difficulty, from Izual.
- The recipe requires these materials: (1) Wirt’s Cowbell, (1) Black Mushroom, (1) Liquid Rainbow, (1) Gibbering Gemstone, (1) Leoric’s Shinbone
- All materials bind on pickup. They cannot be traded or sold.
- Wirt’s Cowbell can be purchased in Act 2 from the NPC Squirt the Peddler in the Caldeum Bazaar. Find the item under the miscellaneous tab sold for 100,000 Gold.
- Black Mushroom can be found in Act 1, as a pick-up in the Cathedral, Level 1. Click the mushrooms to find it.
- Liquid Rainbow can be found in Act 2, inside the Mysterious Cave in the Dahlgur Oasis. To access the cave, you’ll need to find an old man outside in the oasis and he’ll open the cave for you after rescuing him. He won’t speak to you at first, just stay near and monsters will attack. Once they’re killed, he’ll open the Mysterious Cave.
- Leoric’s Shinbone can be found in Leoric’s Manner in Act 1, where it’s a random drop in the fireplace.
- Gibbering Gemstone can be found as a random drop by Chiltara in the Caves of Frost randomly generated before you reach the bridge in Act 3. Search the caves in the Battlefields.
- Once crafted, the Staff of Herding can be used to open a portal into the secret level — Whimsyshire.
- To open the portal, you’ll need to find a dead cow in Old Tristram, west of the road.
- To reach higher level versions of the secret area, you’ll need to construct special new versions for each difficulty level.
Pictures of the models used in Whimsyshire [Via Diablofans]