Diablo 3 Release Date — Everything We Know
UPDATE: On March 15, we learned that Diablo 3 releases May 15.
You’re dying to know Diablo 3′s release date. So are we. Time and again, you’ve heard the rumors. Time and again, they’ve proven to be false. So just when will Diablo 3 release?
While Blizzard has yet to provide us with an official date, presently, we know that Diablo 3 will release sometime between April and June 2012.
Read on to learn everything we know about the Diablo 3 release date and let us know what your conclusions are.
Current Release Date Info
While we do not have an official release date as of yet, Diablo 3′s release is slated for Q2 2012, which puts it anywhere between April and June.
Release Date Rumor Test
Heard a rumor about Diablo 3′s release date? Keep the following points in mind before thinking it’s true:
- Blizzard has officially stated that retailers will only know the release date when we do. Any retailer posting a date is simply guessing.
- Blizzard generally announces release dates about two months in advance. A date significantly sooner than two months from now makes the rumor unlikely to be true.
- Blizzard ignoring, refuting, or refusing to comment on a rumor does not make that rumor true.
- If your source has not proven itself to be reputable, then it’s likely a hoax.
Best guesses currently posit a late June release for Diablo 3, with a release date announcement coming in April. Based on the evidence at hand, Diablo 3′s release date may be June 26, given games are generally released on Tuesdays in the current socioeconomic climate.
A late June release for Diablo 3 would both fit the Q2 window and coincide with some important dates in the series’ history:
- Diablo 2 was released June 29th, 2000.
- Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction was released June 29th, 2001.
- Diablo 3 was announced on June 28th, 2008.
Further, official word from Blizzard places a two month buffer between a release announcement and the actual release date, which is corroborated with some statistics from Blizzard’s two most recent titles:
World of Warcraft: Cataclysm statistics
- Release date: December 7, 2010.
- Closed beta began June 30, 2010, and ended November 22, 2010. Total beta time: 5 months.
- Release date announced on October 4, 2010. Time after beta started: 3 months. Time before release: 2 months.
- Time between end of beta and launch: 15 days.
StarCraft 2 statistics
- Release date: July 27, 2010.
- Closed beta began February 17, 2010, and ended July 19, 2010. Total beta time: 5 months.
- Release date announced on May 4, 2010. Time after beta started: ~2.5 months. Time before release: ~2.5 months.
- Time between end of beta and launch: 8 days.
There are two trends that these statistics suggest which Diablo 3 is not following. First, the statistics suggest that a release date for D3 would have been announced after 2-3 months of beta — we are nearly 6 months in. Second, Blizzard betas typically last 4-6 months, and while not impossible, it is unlikely that the beta will end before we reach 6 months.
These discrepancies can be explained by the probability that Blizzard has had to extend the beta longer than initially anticipated in order to further iterate on game systems. No evidence suggests Blizzard will not end the beta long before release, nor that the company will announce a release date sooner than two months prior to release — in fact, evidence points to the contrary.
The timeline on the following page details the rumors and official information we’ve gathered about Diablo 3′s release over the past year.
When do you think Diablo 3 will be released? If I had to bet on a date, my guess would be June 26, 2012.