Don Daglow: 10 Surprising Ideas On The Future Of Games
At the 2007 IGDA Leadership Forum, Stormfront Studios (Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, Neverwinter Nights) president and CEO Don Daglow lead a discussion aimed at getting developers to look towards the future of making and delivering games called “10 Surprising Ideas for Leaders on the Future of Games.”
Daglow expands upon ten ideas meant to kick start the thought processes including:
- Idea 1: In Games, the Future Will Always Embarrass You
- Idea 2: The Future of Interface is Cultural, Not Intellectual
- Idea 3: How to Become a Futurist
- Idea 4: Who Controls the Future?
- Idea 5: Why are there former game programmers, but not old game programmers?
- Idea 6: In the future, games will do more good
- Idea 7: It isn’t just audiences, it’s architecture
- Idea 8: Xbox Live will be Everything Live
- Idea 9: Conglomerates, Conformists, and Consent
- Idea 10: …For the year 2043
Hopefully the industry will listen to insightful gems such as this:
Daglow stated that developers, publishers, the press, and the retailers do not control the future. “The publisher-developer blame game misses the point,” he said. “Neither of us are in charge. Since we’re polite, we don’t blame each other. We blame retailers and the press — unless they’re around — and it’s not their fault, either. Game players control the future. They decide what’s fun. And when you accept who controls the future, it liberates you to focus on creativity and fun.”