Version 1.4.1 of the Minimalist Project, which makes Thief: Deadly Shadows look and feel more like the first two Thief games. by Tim Gormley
- Wall Hug Invisibility Bug [Still provides cover from guards...but they WILL find you if they get too close.]
Removed from game:
- Loot Percentage [This is optional]
- Fatigue [All guards become tired rather quickly while Garrett could run without losing his wind at all. Rather than
punish the player with fatigue, I removed it completely. The gameplay feels much more balanced this way. In a
future release I aim to try and make only overweight guards fatigued.]
- Arrow Trails.
- Mechanical Eye Overlay.
- Mechanical Eye Sound.
- Back Button. [Use escape instead]
- Gear select sounds.
- Automatic blackjack raise in first person.
- Glowing feet. (from the tutorial part of the game)
- Arrow trails.
- Custom sound support and several custom sounds. [User may add their own sounds as well.]
- Tutorial helptext files reflect Minimalist Project changes.
- Weapons Exposure. [Like the original games, drawing a weapon will now leave you slightly more
exposed as indicated by a slight increase in lightgem visibility. As in the originals, the blackjack will not
make you more exposed.]
- Edible Food. [You may once again eat food, just like the original games. Eating a food item will restore
1/4 of a hitpoint. Four items will restore 1 full point.]
- Loot Glimmer: Remove or have activated by frob distance.
[The loot and junk in TDS look very similar. There are slight differences but unless the textures can be changed in
such a way that they stand out from each other, Loot Glint will be activated by player distance from the item. This
means that you will no longer see the item from long distances. Contributed by Sneaksie Dave and Bumbleson.]
Changes made to user Interface:
- Custom Menu Screen. [This is now made optional]
(Thanks to S_HOLE at the ttlg.com forums)
- Original Thief Fonts Added through the creation of custom bitmap fonts.
[The fonts were updated in version 1.3]
- Modified Thief header that swoops in on main menu (text changed to reflect that “The Minimalist
Project” is installed). (Thanks to John P. for the original Thief header “glow” texture)
- Loading page logo changed to reflect that “The Minimalist Project” is installed.
- Frob highlight in a more subtle color than the original.
- Hud size Minimized - colors tweaked for visibility since it is smaller.
- Retro Hud is offered as an alternative to Minimalist Hud.
(Removes the T3 lightgem and replaces it with a casing that is more like the original. The compass
is also minimized in this Hud as well.)
- Weapons and Items placements on screen are reversed - based on originals.
- Weapons and items now slide in quickly from the side and after a few seconds slide away again,
leaving only the weapon amount numbers visible. The Retro Hud remains true to the originals. (A
variation of a tweak generously donated by Philky of TTLG.com)
- Loot popups appear in lower right hand corner once and fade quickly.
(closer to the way it works in the first two games)
- Lock Pick Hud removed.
- Hud Clamps removed.
- Hud Gears removed. (Tweak donated by Philky)
- Original font colors have been added. (Tweak donated by Philky)
- Black screen when reading like in the original games.
- Health bar is wider to keep in tone with original games.
- Health gems are replaced with shields as in the first games.
(If you choose the Minimalist Default Hud, the shields will slide out of place and appear only
when you are injured.) Note: this will affect the textures of the Health Potions and the gems in the Hammer priest’s wands, since these all share textures originally.
- Mapped the "use" function to pressing of the center mouse button. Weapon scrolling is
still in effect. [No center mouse wheel? Just remap it. ]
Custom Difficulty: Play Styles
- Playstyles have been added in this revision. The player can choose from the following styles.
Cutpurse, Assassin, Thief and Ghost. All Playstyles have the same AI difficulty and Density.
*It was necessary to give all playstyle levels the same AI sensitivity. All Playstyle levels perform at
Expert difficulty though they do not necessarily conform to all the established rules of the playstyle due
to the limitations of the AI.
- Enhanced AI sensitivity
- Broadhead Max: 15
- Water Max: 15
- Moss Max: 15
- Fire Max: 10
- Gas Max: 5
- Noise Maker Max: 5
- Healing Potion Max: 5
- Flashbombs Max: 5
- Oil Flasks Max: 5
- Mines Max: 5
- Holy Water Max: 5
- Gas Bombs Max: 5
- Many are tweaked to be more Thief-like.
(Hopefully control is more precise.)
- Creeping will not make you silent anymore, be forewarned.... only crouching is silent now.
- Head bob reinstated, but lessened to a degree.
- Death camera is fixed to 1st person view.
- All camera modes are in 1st person as DEFAULT (I sympathize with 3rd person players but "The Minimalist Project" breaks many things in third person.)
for more info