E3 2008: Hydrophobia Trailer and Screens Show Some Awesome Water Effects
The first trailer for Hydrophobia, a survival adventure about conquering fear in a series of entirely dynamic flooded environments, has been released today. The video is entirely gameplay footage, and showcases the astonishing real-world water effects provided by HydroEngine.
The HydroEngine is the first fluid dynamics engine for games, developed over several years by Blade’s R&D team to do one thing: bring water to games which looks and behaves exactly like the real thing.
- Water flows from one area to another
- bjects get carried realistically by the flow
- Surfaces and characters become wet when touched by the water, and dry out over time
- Emergent effects such as eddies and underwater currents occur just like real water
- Spray and splashes are generated dynamically according to forces acting on the water
- Surface foam and infinite underwater particles follow the flow
- Dynamic caustic lights cause walls and floor to shimmer as water passes through
- Water can apply forces to objects, walls, windows and doors, causing them to buckle under the pressure
Hopefully we will see this cool new engine being used in future games, but for now, the game Hydrophobia is set in the near future on a city-sized super ship. This enclave for rich people and shady business practices is the setting for an ideological conflict began by terrorist attacks.
Kate Wilson is the protagonist, and she is a systems engineer, who becomes a reluctant hero when terrorists attack and take over a futuristic city-sized cruise liner, called the Queen of the World. She is aquaphobic and has been since the age of 13. On board the Queen, she serves as part of the security detail. She eventually has to confront her fears aboard the Queen in order to stop the terrorist attack. The terrorist attack takes place on the occasion of the first anniversary of the Queen of the World, and it’s up to Kate to stop them.
For a release date on this game, to be made available for the PS3 and Xbox 360, check back with us as more details surface.