FIFA 13 Preview: New Features Guide
Tactical Free Kicks
Fancy set pieces, though rare, are certainly spectacular. FIFA 13 will provide a dizzying array of different free kick options; you can now position three players over the ball, making it harder to tell which direction the strike is coming from. Dummy runners will further confuse your opponent, and an increased variety of different passing options will keep you scheming and him guessing.
To counter these innovations, defending players can now add or subtract players to the wall, creep the wall forward (at risk of getting a yellow card), and even send “bullet men” to charge down shots or passes after the initial touch has been taken.
- Two new passing options — short, chipped passes over defenders legs and flatter, lofted through balls — will increase offensive variety.
- Better referee and goalkeeper AI.
- Computer-controlled teams will be more human — less predictable, robotic, and frustrating to play against.
- While defending, players can move side-to-side more easily to shade an opponent to the right or left — a powerful feature.
- New animations for off-balance shots, 180 degree shots, celebrations, and goal-line clearances.
Check out the screenshots below to see FIFA 13′s innovations in action. Game Front’s trip to Vancouver also yielded tours of EA Canada HQ and the EA’s motion capture studio. Stay tuned for more FIFA 13 coverage!