FileFront is Changing to GameFront
Dear FileFront readers,
For a decade, FileFront has been the #1 destination for PC gaming. You know this, we know this, your dog knows this. Building on that solid foundation, we grew editorially this year. We’re still the top destination for demos, patches and mods, but we’ve also become a solid source for gaming news, reviews, walkthroughs and features. We’ve changed.
Because of these changes, it just doesn’t feel right to call the site FileFront anymore. Files are still a core aspect of what we do, but we have outgrown the limitations of that brand.
So…*drumroll*… I’m excited to announce that on November 30, FileFront will become GameFront! This is a very big step for us, and we’re excited to (finally) unveil our plans to everyone.
We decided on the name GameFront for a couple reasons. First, it’s simple, and it immediately communicates what we’re all about: gaming, without limitations. Secondly, we like how it dovetails nicely with our current brand. It feels like a natural evolution for us, and we’re excited to grow.
What’s New in GameFront?
In addition to the new (awesome) name, we’re also giving the site a fresh redesign, and adding some cool new features. Here’s a rundown of what to expect:
- Slick new redesign. Check out the teaser comps below! We’re making the site more readable, because that’s always good.
- New “Files” tab on game pages. This is kind of a big deal. You’ll be able to find all articles, and files for any game right there on one page. This will make it easier to find what you’re looking for, and it’s part of our ongoing mission to reign in the site’s content and make it easily available.
- Our “Latest Demos”, “Patches” and “Videos” buttons now have a permanent home right up in new top navigation bar. You can get to all the latest file content we have, from any page.
- Much will stay the same. You can still search for files, articles or games. You can still upload your own files, for free.
- Also, just a heads up: there are a lot of moving pieces involved with this change, and we fully expect a few technical hiccups along the way. We will make it a top priority to keep you all well informed of any bugs during the transition, and we’ll be working hard towards speedy resolutions.
What’s on the Horizon, Post-GameFront?
GameFront will be a solid upgrade for the site, but we’re definitely not finished. We need to revamp our “Network Sites,” and bring them out of the 1990s. We need to make user accounts better. We have ideas to improve overall file navigation, and user file management. We have a ton of ideas for how to make the site awesome, and we’ll get there.
We appreciate your support over the years–without you guys we wouldn’t be here!–and of course we value your feedback. Let us know what you think, and feel free to share your ideas for how to improve the site in future iterations. We’ll listen.