Final Fantasy 13-2: Beast Tamer Trophy Guide
Ever wanted to be friends with a Tonberry? Have no idea what I’m talking about? The Tonberry is a secondary mascot of the Final Fantasy series, mostly representing our lonely rare monster brethren. The little green guy with the deadly knife and stylish robe has been hiding in the dark corners of history, with only his lamp to light the way. Give this tiny dude some love, and recruit him into your monster collection. Find out how below.
Trophy / Achievement Unlocked
Beast Tamer (Gold / 90 points): Befriended a most unfriendly monster.
Beast Tamer Guide
- This trophy / achievement is best saved for after completing the main campaign. Unless you’re obscenely high level, don’t attempt this until you’ve begun the Moogle Hunts.
- Before going after Don Tonberry, there are two useful fragments that will help save time discovering and befriending this rare monster. The “Battle Mania” Fragment and the “Monster Collector” Fragment are what you’ll need.
- The “Battle Mania” fragment improves your chances of spawning rare monsters. You can unlock this fragment in Serendipity with the Chocobo Girl, but only after earning the “Paradox Doctorate” fragment from the City of Academia AF400. To unlock the “Paradox Doctorate” fragment, you’ll need to achieve 100% map completion from all maps available in the game.
- Next, you might want to get the “Monster Collector” fragment, which increases your chances of befriending monsters. Unlock this fragment from the Chocobo Girl in Serendipity, but only after earning all the fragments from Vile Peaks AF010 and Vile Peaks AF200 first.
- Neither of those two fragments above are required to befriend Don Tonberry, but they will help. You’ll need both fragments for the most difficult trophy / achievement in the game, Defragmented.
- Find Don Tonberry at the Bresha Ruins AF100. Search the area west of where you found Atlas in the Bresha Ruins AF005. You’ll know you’re about to engage him when you see a black void.
- Switch the difficulty to Easy for the fight. It doesn’t affect anything in-game, and your chances of befriending Don Tonberry will remain the same. Setting the difficulty to Easy will speed things up, as you’ll likely need to attempt this battle several times to befriend this rare monster. Unless you’re very lucky.
- If you fail to befriend him, stay near his original spawning point and wait for him to come back. It might take a few tries, but you’re likely to befriend him in about five tries without the “Monster Collector” fragment equipped. Just keep trying, be persistent, and you’ll have Don Tonberry and another trophy in the bag.