Game Front is Hiring!
Dear Game Front readers,
Your favorite gaming site is expanding! Yes, we’re building a couple new wings onto the (metaphorical) Game Front mansion, and we need your help filling them with smart people. Read below for details on each of the positions we’re offering. If you are bursting with gaming knowledge, possess solid writing chops, like Game Front and want to help us grow, then apply!
NOTE: Game Front is a PC-focused site. We cover console games too (big ones that interest us), but by and large we approach gaming coverage from a PC gamer’s point of view. If you don’t consider yourself a PC gamer, you need not apply.
Skills/things you should have:
- Crisp, humorous writing style. Must have solid grammar and ability to self-edit.
- Passion. You need to love talking and writing about video games.
- Ability to dig for stories (RSS, PR contacts, social feeds, forums), rapidly build news stories, and craft pitches for longer-form features.
- Solid work ethic, great attitude. When the going gets tough, you drink coffee and laugh in its face.
- A killer PC rig, and all major gaming consoles.
- Solid internet connection.
Location & Job Details
- All openings are freelance, contracted positions. You’re free to work from home (No, that is not our newsroom up there).
- Bonus if you’re located in the Los Angeles or San Francisco Bay Areas.
How to apply:
- Send all correspondence to feedback at gamefront dot com.
- Resume, including: home address, contact phone number, and previous work experience
- Links to past work. Bonus if you’ve written for other gaming publications in the past. Should include a combination of news posts, features and a full game review or two. Show us your best work.
- Short cover letter, explaining why you want the job.
NOTE: Please send samples that match the position you’re applying for. For instance, if you’re applying for the MMO position, you’ll want to send some MMO-centric writing.
We are looking for:
You eat, drink and sleep MMOs. You have several high-level characters in several MMOs. You understand the intricacies of MMO combat, leveling, and are aware of crazy backstabbing that happens in Eve Online. You’ve got your ear to the MMO-ground, and you can easily find news to write about, and larger ideas to turn into features.
You’re embedded in PC indie games. You find cool stuff before it’s cool. You’ll help us find the next Braid, Limbo or Slender.
PC Hardware Writer
You build insane rigs. SLI, quad-core, water cooled, solid state, RAID–you’ve done it all, and you can write about it in a way that’s understandable and human. You might even be able to write about PC hardware in a way that’s entertaining, or even funny. Not everyone has a degree in PC-building. You know this, and you can write for these people.
Like a regular news writer, except you do this on Saturday and Sunday. You can dig for news like a champ, and you can write like…a champ. You’re also a champ at finding news items and swiftly writing them up in readable, humorous voice.