Games Industry Says E3 Must Change or Die

Some of the games industry’s most influential people are aiming some sharp criticism at the Entertainment Software Association’s E3 Expo.

According to the San Francisco Chronicle, EA boss John Riccitiello has had enough of E3′s more intimate setting.

“I hate E3 like this.”

“Either we need to go back to the old E3, or we’ll have to have our own private events.”

Ubisoft US boss Laurent Detoc was less kind.

“E3 this year is terrible. The world used to come to E3. Now it’s like a pipe-fitters show in the basement,” he declared.

The E3 Expo has gone from a must attend gala every May hosting 60,000 souls to a much smaller event. Although the E3 2008 was relocated back to LA, only 5,000 attended and several regulars dropped out of the line up including Activision, Codemasters, Her Entertainment, id Software, Lucas Arts, NCSoft and Vivendi.

Nintendo had previously assured its support for E3. However Nintendo’s Shigeru Miyamoto has stated that the company’s core games will no longer be showcased at the expo according to GamesIndustry.biz.

“For a very long time, E3 was an event where — and certainly Nintendo included — catered specifically to the core gamer. Now we look at more … an opportunity for us to introduce new concepts and new types of play that we intend to bring to the broader audience, particularly because of the media that gathers at E3 now,” said Miyamoto to MSNBC.

It seems that the E3 Expo of today is missing more than just booth babes. The message from the industry is becoming clear; either the ESA restores E3 to its former glory or the expo will continue to fade away.

So the big question is… will E3 return to its hay day or will PAX take its place as the US expo to attend?

via Eurogamer

Join the Conversation   

* required field

By submitting a comment here you grant GameFront a perpetual license to reproduce your words and name/web site in attribution. Inappropriate or irrelevant comments will be removed at an admin's discretion.

4 Comments on Games Industry Says E3 Must Change or Die

Kevin

On July 21, 2008 at 1:33 am

People are just realizing this? its sucked for many years now

Ron Whitaker

On July 21, 2008 at 7:04 am

I highly doubt that we’ll see a return to the old E3. It seems strange to me that game companies, who just a few years ago were all clamoring about the ridiculously high cost of E3, are now the ones trumpeting their desire to return to the old format.

Personally, as on who has attended both the old and the new E3, I would say that each format has its advantages. The old E3 had the pomp, the glitz, and the showiness. The new E3 has the convenience and simplicity. It’s a toss up as to which one is better, but I think the ESA needs to let its members make that call if it wants to continue to be a viable organization.

Davn Kincade

On July 21, 2008 at 10:10 am

I agree with Ron, the old E3 is dead and not coming back…it’s a shame but there isn’t much us gamers can do about it.

I’ve said it before on here in a different post, until they do this:

http://tgs.cesa.or.jp/english/

E3 will continue to slowly kill itself.

Span_Wolf

On July 21, 2008 at 11:17 am

The last true E3 actually capped out at 95 thousand people not 60 thousand.