Airmen is free in alpha, download and play now! Build your steampunk airship from an empty hangar and crew it in first-person with up to 4 friends. Man the guns an destroy enemies piecemeal, targeting balloons to send them plummeting or engines to leave them powerless.
This is the current version of the game. Airmen is free to play in alpha.
Unzip the contents to any directory and run Airmen.exe to play.
Added Twin Cannon. Fires 4 shots per second with base inaccuracy, small bloom and no splash damage. Must reload every 30 shots. Press R to reload early.
Added upside down gatling turret.
Railguns deal ~2x damage across all focusers levels with slightly reduced focuser scaling. With turning speed better related to ship size the railgun can be more safely tweaked.
Added upside down
Players could damage themselves when looking down and moving fast.
Player bodies snapped to strange positions after their second death.
Added Boarding Knife. Compared to axe: less damage, 25% faster swing, 50% earlier hit time, double size hit volume, negative armor pen.
Further increased revolver fire rate to ~1.15 seconds per shot.
Respawn chamber is selected randomly to prevent spawn camping.
Match time scales linearly up to 20 minutes based on total mass. 60k > 20 minutes, 0k > 10 minutes.
Reduced the turning power of props so sitting still isn't the best strategy. (Rudder turning is now faster than point turning)
Rudders do not inhibit turning on point to prevent them from being a tradeoff.
A new head model for the lord and lady bots flying into battle.
Chat will inform you of your permanent death.
The death message only appears when permakilled.
The match timer counts down.
Players respawn with 200 HP which decays to 100 over 4 seconds.
Increased ship capture grief kick immunity timer to 30 seconds.
Normalized firepower ratings to equal the mass they require.
Added a chalkboard with more in-depth pressure stats.
Added a raw firepower counter to the chalkboards.
Reduced the reach of the boarding axe and charge by 25%.
Added 10 negative penetration to revolvers and carbines.
Dynamic parts did not count as parentable surfaces for ship riding.
Firing weapons directly downwards while crouching will no longer hit the user.
HUD images scaled awkwardly when on sideways turrets.
Forcing dismount turns off the turret in use.
Revolvers have a higher fire rate (2.1s > 1.7s).
The server recognizes tree collision meshes.
Trees can be destroyed by taking 3 hits from any melee weapon.
Improved position smoothness sync for laggy connections.
Some players will have a peg leg.
Chat appears for an appropriate amount of time when messages are recieved.
Increased time before lobby close after match end.
Scoreboard appears when the match ends.
Return to hangar confirmation message.
Commandeering an enemy ship rewards negative team damage.
Increased natural drag on light ships.
Capped max lift at 1.5*mass to prevent noob trapping on medium ships and lift invincibility of heavy ships.
Increased momentum required to deal max ram damage (nearly all ram hits dealt max damage).
Warnings appear when bypassing build limits.
Added 2 additional example ships.
Activating an enemy occupied turret on a friendly ship dismounts the user.
Indexed spedometer clock to meters per second per hour.
Halved the non y axis torques of rudders.
Rail gun damage registers client side.
Added part counter to HUD.
HUD blips appear over friendly airships.
Railgun damage did not give a hitmarker or add to the scoreboard in DM.
Fixed a bug causing ships to spin out of control about the red axis.
Railguns dealt max damage with a single focuser.
Engine mouseover tooltip displayed an extra unrequired box.
Player boarding axes did not apply armor penetration.
Ballasts were twice as powerful in descent and continuously increased speed.
Improved server reset stability.
Propellers spin slower when damaged.
Upped max ram damage to 1500.
Upside down turret.
The server browser displays the time remaining for a match in progress.
The server browser automatically refreshes every 30 seconds so you won't miss when a match opens lobby.
Not touching an airship for 1.5 seconds will stop moving you with it.
Captains cannot start a match by readying until the lobby timer reachs 4:00.
Ship spawn points are in the corners of the map and perfectly symetrical.
Leveled the center most mountain.
The match can be ended by controlling 4 capture points unconstested for 30 seconds. Disabled ships cannot contest a point. Points unlock at 3:00.
Blue team captain 1 could not invite new specators.
Respawn chamber mouseover text did not display in battle if your original homeship was destroyed.
Chat sometimes became unclickable.
Ladder zone of simple rigging was too low.
Corrected tooltip hp values of riggings.
Rams dealt excessive damage to themselves and in high velocity ramming action the user could be kicked due to damage reflection.
Chat sometimes hid itself too quickly in battle when many messages were recieved.
First person controls were enabled while chat was open.
Commandeering the only functional enemy vessel while all allied ships are disabled did not reset the victory countdown timer to 30 seconds.
Adjusted armor root long stats to match its 3 part companion.
Fixed Purple UI in Mac.
Mac users can now save and load airships.
Max part count reduced to 700.
New 3x1 armor plates, slants, triangles, and roots.
Reduced HP of riggings to be more in line with skinning.
No more popping airships.
Fixed out of control spinning airships.
Performance improvements to airship rendering.
Reduced the draw of propellors and increased draw AND thrust of ballasts and rudders.
Altered rotation speed limiting algorithm. Bigger ships should turn slower the same way they move slower.
Respawn chambers require empty space in front of them.
Move the rudder's position in the parts list.
Some players will get a different helmet in-game.
Ship captains get a distinguishing shoulder band.
Moderators have fancy mustaches in-game.
Enabled vsync and frame limiting for potato-simple.
Shrunk the targeting box of pigeon missiles so less miss slow targets.
Antialiasing properly applies to first person objects.
Sometimes ships "popped" being instantly destroyed. A system has been installed to prevent this but when prevented it may leave floating parts.
Respawn chambers must be placed upright.
Team ship damage does not count as griefing if the ship was recently captured.
New ship spawn algorithm that uses even less bandwidth.
Captains can dismount other players from steering wheels by taking the wheel.
Steering wheels cannot be mounted if any one is mounted on the ship.
Steering wheels were locked when a player using them disconnects.
Multiple players could mount a steering wheel simultaneously.
When multiple chat messages were recieved in one frame, only the oldest would be shown.
Restored some network fixes reverted by last update.
In-game names now properly display on players using turrets.
Increased minimum inertia to stabilize tiny and planar ships.
Scoreboard. Keeps track of ship damage dealt, player kills, and repairs done.
Antigrief. Doing too much damage to allies kicks you from the match. This system will be further expanded.
In-game name tags.
Airships no longer disappear when the last captain disconnects.
Network traffic optimizations across the board should improve stability of large matches.
/mod "player name" adds the player as a mod.
/kick "player name" kicks the player from the match.
/ban "player name" kicks and bans the player from the server.
Dismounting the pilot seat always engages autopilot. The pilot seat can also be dismounted with Left Control.
Spawning in ships in singleplayer requires the spawn location to be unblocked.
Some part models have been swapped for lower-poly version to alleviate lag when looking at big airships.
Respawning at a chamber points the camera out from the chamber, rather than retaining the old rotation.
Smoke screenscreens drop their smoke in bursts every 30 seconds.
Press T to team chat when in-game.
New model for the small engine. It's smaller and has less connection points. AI have been altered accordingly.
If your chosen respawn chamber was destroyed while you were respawning, you would permadie.
The center of lift leeway system did not allow center of lift to go below center of mass when damage was taken.
* When you die in deathmatch, your camera will move to an over-the-shoulder view.
* Increased damage of cannons by 15%, reduced temperature based spread by 35%.
* When a captain fails to connect, their crew will still appear on their ship.
* After entering the deathmatch scene, the game waits up to 30 seconds for all players to connect. If this timer expires, unconnected players are dropped and the match begins.
* Reduced gatling gun fire rate from 18 shots per seconds to 10.
* New gatling gun audio that sounds less like a buzz saw.
* Reduced thickness of smokescreen to help reduce performance draw.
* Removed hitbox of propellor blades.
* Captains can now lock their crew.
* Captains can invite spectators to their crew.
* Captains can kick players from their crew.
* The victory countdown changes color to green or red if you are winning or losing.
* Turrets rotated twice as fast when a remote player is using one. This should reduce the sharp cannon arc at the end of turret shots.
* Dying in deathmatch while zoomed in with a spyglass left you permenantly zoomed in.
* Players disconnecting in a turret locked the turret forever.
* HOPEFULLY (this one is hard to test) Crews would spawn on the wrong airship.
* Switching weapon animations could be queued on top of eachother if the buttons were pressed too rapidly.
* Rail guns have a new particle effect that is less laser-beamy.
* Rail gun shots no longer go through mountains.
* The lobby is less likely to fail with high player count.
* One player cannot join at the same time as another to prevent lobby overload.
* Added red notifications to chat when lobby requests are denied.
* If a captain leaves a slot with a crew, their crew becomes spectators.
* Any players who join lobby with an airship will display their ship's mass after their name.
* Players may only make lobby requests every one second.
* A captain may no longer join their own crew.
* A chat message is displayed when attempting to connect to an in progress match.
* A chat message is displayed when attempting to connect to a match with a different version.
* A chat message is displayed when failing to connect to an offline server.
* Only captains must be ready to start the match.
* Spectators joining will not unready everyone.
* A change in crew will only unready the captain who lost crew, rather than all players.
* If the match timer expires and one captain from each team is ready, the game will start.
* Activatable parts can only be activated on certain faces (no activating steering wheels from below).
* Airships now require respawn chambers to leave the hangar.
* Added half rams.
* New tree so the other one isn't so lonely.
* An extra plane was added to each grass mesh.
* Players who previously joined another crew may end up on the wrong airship.
* All new lobby focused on a player list rather than captain list.
* Choose to spectate in lobby.
* Select each AI's ship from the preset list.
* Added armored balloons: These are the smallest variant of balloons but are the toughest for their size. Building with these is also the most challenging.
* Added armored skinning: This is a component intended to function much like rigging but without a ladder: cover a large area at low mass cost.
* Auto-crouch: crouching into a tight spot then releasing crouch keeps you crouched until the headspace becomes available.
* Harpoon ropes can be damaged to destroy the harpoon if the rope is fully taught.
* While ladder mounted, movement is camera relative, so looking up and moving forward moves you up. This helps with traversing harpoon ropes.
* Sliding off an edge will no longer cause you to fall fast after leaving it.
* Gatling guns did not damage hit subcolliders.
* Water left behind a weird after image around the edge of objects overlaping it when the camera was moved at certain angles.
* Gatling guns could be charged up to deal unlimited damage in a shotgun blast.
* Players who previously joined another crew may end up on the wrong airship.