Gears of War PC Has a Small, Fixable Issue
If you picked up Gears of War for the PC this week and tried to go online with it, you should have been prompted for a title update. But due to a small problem, you’re probably stuck in a cycle of downloading the update and never quite installing it. Luckily, a fairly easy fix is available; you’ll simply quit after downloading the update, and the update will be fully installed next time you start the game up.
Here are the exact instructions, courtesy of Gamerscore Blog:
- Start “Gears of War” for Windows (from Start Menu)
- Once the game starts, press the “Home” key to open the Game for Windows — LIVE Guide
- Sign-in using an existing Xbox LIVE account, or create a new Games for Windows — LIVE account (this will redirect you to a browser window, if you choose to create an account)
- Once signed into LIVE, the user will be prompted to update the Games for Windows — LIVE version on their machine. Select the “Yes, Update Now” option
- Wait for the opening cinematic with the Epic Logo and the Microsoft Games Studio splash screen to play
- Once on the main Title Screen, press “Enter” to go to the Main Menu
- On the Main Menu, quit out of the game
- Once you quit out of the game, the Games for Windows — LIVE System Update will kick off. Wait for that install to complete.
- Once that is complete, start the game again. You will have to re-login to Games for Windows – LIVE again
Microsoft is currently at work on a new update that will rectify the problem, but this simple fix should cure the problem with minimal effort.