Gran Turismo 5 Gets Major Update, GT Academy
When you picked up your copy of Gran Turismo 5 a few weeks back, you probably noticed an insert in there that said something about how being awesome at GT5 could earn you the chance to be awesome at driving a real-life fast car. This competition is called the GT Academy, and it starts now with this massive new 600mb update Sony has dropped on our asses today after a bit of previous teasing.
The GT Academy is a series of online time trials that you do over and over again in hopes of working your way up the leaderboards for your region so you can move on. The top 128 survive the first round, and then the top 16 and then so on. It should be noted that surviving round two also gets you a copy of Gran Turismo 5 for the Playstation 3. That is actually true. Furthermore, there will also be leaderboards for each participating nation, and you can earn prizes by hitting the top of those leaderboards. The full round-up on the tournament and prizes and everything is here at the Playstation Blog.
Also, you can get free themes and Home stuff just by participating.
The update is more than just GT Academy, though. Here’s what else is in there:
- Seasonal Events –The Seasonal Events area has been added to the main GT Life screen. From here you can participate in official online events that will be open for a limited time only. Each event has specific entry and race conditions, and completing events earns you rewards and experience points. Compete here to see how you stack up to the rest of the world on the global leaderboards in the time trials and drift trial events.
- Online Race Rewards and Experience – When you complete a race in the [Open Lobby] or [My Lounge], you will now gain rewards and experience. Even if you are focused more on playing online, you’ll still be able to gain rewards and levels that you need to progress in [GT Life].
- Hot Car Dealer – A new specialized dealership has also been added to the main GT Life screen, making it much easier to find popular and rare used cars compared to the standard Used Car Dealer.
- Distance Driven and Number of Wins in Online Races – Your total distance driven online, and the number of wins you achieve in Open Lobby and My Lounge will now add to your Profile and Garage stats.
- Improved Rewards for Playing – Earn increased rewards for winning races in both A-Spec and B-Spec mode through the end of January only. Now’s the perfect chance to rack up points, build up your garage, and get ahead in the game.