Grand Theft Auto 5: 11 Million-Plus Copies Sold In 24 Hours
The meticulous folks at the Guinness Book of World Records have confirmed some day-one sales numbers for GTA 5. In its first 24 hours on sale, Rockstar’s latest hit 11.21 million copies sold. Black Ops II, which saw day-one sales of 7.5 million units, has been bumped to the number two spot.
Guinness also confirmed that GTA 5 now holds seven world records, all of which are detailed below.
- Best-selling action-adventure videogame in 24 hours
- Best-selling videogame in 24 hours
- Fastest entertainment property to gross $1 billion
- Fastest videogame to gross $1 billion
- Highest grossing videogame in 24 hours
- Highest revenue generated by an entertainment product in 24 hours
- Most viewed trailer for an action-adventure videogame
The only game left in 2013 that might come close to the numbers put up by Grand Theft Auto 5 is Call of Duty: Ghosts. The COD franchise is no slouch when it comes to putting up big numbers. The previous billion-dollar record was held by Call of Duty: Black Ops II, which hit the mark in 15 days in 2012.