Grand Theft Auto 5: Easter Eggs, Secrets & References
Can’t get enough GTA 5? Get the latest commentary, guides and cheats from James and Mitch. Subscribe to Game Front’s Video Walkthroughs on YouTube.
Welcome to the compendium of oddball Easter eggs, sly secrets and wry references hidden away in Rockstar’s epic next entry into the Grand Theft Auto franchise. Nothing is left alone, there are callbacks to previous GTA games, reappearances of old friends, and new paranormal myths to dig up.
Rockstar has always loved playing games with it’s fans, and the cryptic clues just keep coming. Check out the list below to find every hidden secret we’ve discovered so far, and drop us a line if we’re missing something cool.
Needless to say, there will be spoilers ahead.
Follow the GTA 5 video walkthrough with Mitch and James to see this criminal enterprise play out. And don’t forget about our list of GTA 5 cheats if you’re looking for more crazy secrets just like this..
Easter Eggs, References & Secrets
Work-in-Progress – Found any other references or Easter eggs? Let us know in the comments!
The Ghost of Mt. Gordo
- At the top of Mt. Gordo, there is a message that reads “Jock“. Check the message out between 23:00 and 24:00 to discover a creepy ghost. Spoooooky!
- The lumbering giant is more than a myth in GTA 5. Learn all about it on the GTA 5: Bigfoot Sighting Easter Egg Guide.
Underwater UFO & Aliens on Ice
- Located in the waters on the northern ridge of the map, you can find a sunken alien spaceship. That’s not all…
- Learn more about the UFO (and where to find it) on our Grand Theft Auto 5: Crashed UFO Easter Egg Location Guide.
- In the tutorial mission, locate this alien-on-ice by taking your car off-road and onto the frozen stream. Under the bridge, you’ll locate this chilly extraterrestrial.
Conspiratorial Secret Messages on the Special Edition Map
- Put under a UV (black) light, secret messages and symbols will appear on the Special Edition map.
- These symbols point to all sorts of hidden Easter eggs, some of which appear on this very page.
- Learn all about the secret messages, browse over to our Grand Theft Auto 5: UV Light Secret Map Messages Easter Egg Guide.
Brucie Kibbutz and More Old Friends
- Brucie Kibbutz returns on Bleeper, GTA’s equivalent to Twitter.
- Not only that, but Niko Bellic’s old friend Packie McReary returns. Franklin can help him during a heist, and he’ll join your crew for the remainder of the game.
- Niko Bellic is even referenced. The hero of GTA 4 is mentioned during the first heist, described as an “Eastern-European” that was making a name for himself back in Liberty City and got out of the business.
[Thanks to Commenter Brad for the tip.]
- Another former GTA protagonist returns! Johnny Klebitz (protagonist of GTA 4: The Lost and Damned) appears in an early mission with Trevor, in which Johnny confronts Trevor for sleeping with his girlfriend Ashley.
[Thanks to Commenter Duncan for the tip.]
Welcome Back to Grove Street
- The early setting of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas returns in GTA V. The Grove Street Families, the gang affiliated with main protagonist of GTA:SA Carl Johnson, also returns.
- On one of the buildings, players can find graffiti stating, “WELCOME BACK. We missed you last time.” that welcomes players back to the sandbox of San Andreas after leaving for Liberty City in GTA IV.
- More old friends from GTA: SA are referenced in Franklin’s place. Look in the bedroom to find a poster for Mad Dog. On the floor? It looks like OG Loc made it with his own album.
A Walk in Elysian Fields
- Elysian Fields Co., the villainous construction company embroiled in the highway conspiracy in L.A. Noire appears in Los Santos.
- L.A. Noire takes place, naturally, in Los Angeles. GTA V’s Los Santos is a fictionalized version of the city.
No Country for Old Gangsters
- Out in the desert surrounding the military base, the player can find the aftermath of a gunfight between two groups. A silver briefcase isn’t too far away from the carnage.
- This scene is similar to the massacre Llewellyn discovers at the beginning of No Country For Old Men, by Cormac McCarthy. Unlike the novel (or film adaptation) taking the money won’t cause a violent killer to trail you. Just two gangsters on motorcycles.
The Playboy Mansion
- Yes, the infamous mansion makes an obvious appearance in Vinewood.
- Just travel to the location on the map. Outback, you’ll even find the Grotto.
More Grand Theft Auto 5 achievement guides, easter eggs, and extras.
GTA 5: Complete Cheat Codes List
GTA 5: All Collectible Locations – Map (GRAPHIC)
GTA 5: Stunt Jumps Locations [Map]
GTA 5: Spaceship Parts Locations [Map]
GTA 5: Nuclear Waste Locations [Map]
GTA 5: Letter Scraps Locations [Map]
GTA 5: How to Earn Infinite Money [Exploit]
GTA 5: How to Turn Michael into Breaking Bad’s Walter White
GTA 5: Strangers & Freaks Locations
GTA 5: Complete Mission List
GTA 5: How to Lose the Cops Effectively
GTA 5: Skydive Instantly With This Cheat Code [Video]
GTA 5: How to Unlock More Haircuts
GTA 5: How to Install to Xbox 360 with No Lag
GTA 5: How to Make Easy Money
GTA 5: San Andreas Sightseer Achievement Guide