Graphical Prowess: Crysis 2 Files Improve Performance, Looks
Not all games are the same. Not all PC’s are the same. Our weekly Graphical Prowess column helps you find the settings that make the latest games look and run the best on your PC.
The name “Crysis” is practically synonymous with fancy-looking graphics. Crytek’s first game, Far Cry, started as a tech demo, intending to showcase the prowess of a new nVidia graphics card. The results were so impressive that the demo became a game, setting new graphical standards for all of its FPS competitors. Not content with their initial achievements, Crytek have pushed the CryEngine even harder in their two subsequent titles, particularly Crysis 2, which lies right on the bleeding edge of current visual potential.
The game looks great out of the box, but by modifying it slightly, you can achieve even more impressive performance. Three files below hold the key.
1. Crysis 2 Patch 1.9 — Along with fixing and tweaking a number of things, this patch prepares the game to support Direct X 11, the latest and greatest installment in Microsoft’s long line of API collections. It should be your first step along the road to Crysis 2 perfection.
2.Crysis 2 Hi-Res Texture Pack — This is when the going really gets good. In addition to the hi-res textures, this file adds a number of sexy visual effects, detailed below:
- Tessellation + Displacement Mapping
- High Quality HDR Motion Blur
- Realistic Shadows with Variable Penumbra
- Sprite-based Bokeh Depth of Field
- Parallax Occlusion Mapping
- Particles Motion Blur, Shadows and Art Updates
- Water Rendering improvements using Tessellation + Displacement Mapping
3. Crysis 2 Advanced Graphics Tool — Crysis 2 might provide some of the best PC visuals on the market, but the suite of customization options that Crytek included in the game leaves a little bit to be desired. Thankfully, a Gamespot forum moderator named Wasdie was on the case, creating this nifty program that will in turn create an autoexe.cfg file for you, enabling you to tweak your Crysis 2 settings one by one, getting the most out of whatever hardware you happen to have on hand. See a picture of it in action below.
Got graphics tips or tweaks for Crysis 2? Let us know in the comments!