World of Warcraft: 5.1 Battle Pets Guide
New Pet Battles Near and Far
Almost a dozen new pets await those that want to travel the lands in search of the latest creatures ready for battle. Quite a few are mechanized and dragonkin to make up for the low populations in those Pet Families.
- Emerald Proto-Whelp – northern Sholazar Basin around The Savage Thicket
- Infinite Whelping – In the Caverns of Time (??)
- Nexus Whelpling – north west Borean Tundra surrounding The Nexus
- Harpy Youngling – north west Northern Barrens in The Dry Hills
- Kun-Lai Runt – central Kun-Lai Summit from Winter’s Blossom to Mogu’Shan Terrace
- Stunted Yeti – Feralas, Yeti Cave south east of Feathermoon Stronghold
- Arcane Eye – southern Deadwind Pass outside of Karazhan
- Lofty Libram – north west Hillsbrad Foothills surrounding the Dalaran Crater
- Anodized Robo Cub – central Winterspring just south of Everlook
- Cogblade Raptor – south east Blades Edge Mountains around Toshley’s Station
- Fluxfire Feline – western New Tinkertown (Dun Murogh) around The Toxic Fields
If you are just starting in Pet Battles, I would recommend the Fluxfire Feline that has an early attack that is strong against critters and later attacks that really put it into overdrive. You will be fighting alot of Critter-types early on and this Feline will give you a big advantage out of the gate.
Bagging Mr. Bigglesworth
The famous hairless cat from the Austin Powers movie franchise no longer drops from Kel’thuzad, but is now the reward for the new Raiding With Leashes achievement. To complete this achievement, players must defeat 12 Vanilla WoW raid bosses across 4 dungeons and collect the battle pets each one drops. Blizzard has just made these bosses soloable to level 85+ characters and dropped the requirement to be in a raid to enter their instances.
Most of these bosses you can just burn down, but check the WoWHead entries for each one (especially the recent comments) so you, too, can own your very own precious purr machine. The raid zones you’ll be venturing into are Blackwing Lair (make sure you are keyed to enter), Molten Core, Naxxaramas, and the Temple of Ahn’Qiraj. The pet drop isn’t guaranteed, so if one of these elude you, the auction house can also be your friend here.
You Have Cat To Be Kitten Me
And finally, you may be asking, where is that adorable Cinder Kitten that was to be sold to raise relief funds for the victims of Hurricane Sandy? Blizzard has finally released it in their official store. Your $10 purchase will go to Hurricane relief if you make your purchase by the end of the year. Sure it’s a battle pet, but isn’t it worth picking up, just to have a companion that purrs when not lighting your hand on fire?
Out of all these recent additions, plus what was introduced with Mists of Pandaria, which new pets are your favorites?