Half-Life 2 Mod — Source Media Arcade
This isn’t just a mod. This is a utility that pushes the boundaries of user interfaces.
Source Media Arcade enhances your operating system by adding a full 3D virtual interface to your computer. Pictures, games, documents, and programs are all represented by physical objects with their textures dynamically generated using your own media. This allows every file to have its own unique look, literally opening the door to a whole new way of organizing and browsing your media.
3D objects can be interacted with to open files, launch applications, or even switch between running tasks.
The interface is highly customizable and the back-end is designed to be easily expanded beyond the mod’s initial capabilities.
• Launch applications or open files by activating in-game objects.
• Opens files and applications directly in front of the “game” screen.
• Displays your picture files in-game on virtual screens from their current location on your hard drive.
• Utilizes the DevIL image loader to support over 40 image file types that can be displayed in-game.
• Intelligently finds pictures associated with your non-image documents to be used as screens and marquee images on their 3D avatars.
• Organizes your files into playlists that can reference files from any folder on your computer or over a local network.
• Playlists can be auto-synchronized with specific folders so that they never become out-of-date. Files placed in these folders will be on the playlist the next time it is loaded.
• Allows file type filtering and other detailed options when syncing with folders.
• File avatars in-game are completely customizable allowing you choose their 3D model and associated images.
• All changes take immediate effect and are automatically saved to keep the experience as persistent as possible.
• Uses script-based model presets to organize available models into easy-to-use, expandable categories.
• Easily add your files where you want by pointing and clicking to arrange your 3D world just as you like.
• Quickly switch between predefined arrangement sets to spawn your files at different themed locations around the map.
• On average is able to display up to 70 file avatars simultaneously in “hi-res” mode. (Over 400 avatars in “low-res” mode!)
• Is able to load official as well as community made add-on maps from many popular Source engine games such as Half-Life 2, Team Fortress 2, and Counter-Strike: Source.
• Easily create new file avatar models.
The only thing it can’t do is repair your VCR or service your car.
This initial release, labeled BETA 1, is only a taste of the real scope of this project — this is a mod to keep on your radar.
Check out this “commercial” to see the SM Arcade in action: