Hands-On with Star Wars: The Old Republic Player vs. Player

NOTE: This article originally included two additional writers’ impressions of the PvP system in Star Wars: The Old Republic. Those impressions were both retracted due to factual inaccuracies that tarnished the reviewers’ analyses. Game Front regrets the error.

I’m not much of a massively multiplayer person — my last full-on bout with the world of time-sink online games was Final Fantasy XI, which eventually annoyed me because it felt like I was doing a job I wasn’t getting paid for. But if there’s an MMO I’ll come out for, it’s a Star Wars game built with the same mindset as Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.

With that said, I look optimistically toward Star Wars: The Old Republic, even with some of Game Front’s staff being a little less enthusiastic after having a chance to mess around with it. Although, as someone who doesn’t spend a lot of time with MMOs, I’m approaching from a specific, somewhat unique angle: a guy who sees much of SWTOR’s elements without the lens of World of WarCraft against which to prejudge.

It was with such a mindset that I sat down with the player vs. player with fellow Fronters Ross Lincoln and Jordon Justice, donning the colors of the Sith Empire to take on a group of other Comic-Con attendees. The PC I sat down in front of put me in the role of an Imperial Agent specialized as a Sniper. That gave me some long-range capabilities, thermal detonator grenades and a defensive ability to throw down a cover position wherever I was standing.

Our mission was to capture three command points on the given map, aligned in a straight line through its center. At opposite ends were two cruisers, one from each side, from which new players were deployed. The plan was to capture the command points — having all three would allow one team to shoot down the other’s cruiser and win the game.

To get down to the planet’s surface below, we had to jump on speederbikes. The speederbike ride was preprogrammed, dropping each of us in a different spot on the surface but in the same general area, after which we all ran like crazies toward the three command posts — one in front of us, one to either side. Just standing near a command post was enough to capture it, but we’d need to clear out the Republic Jedi to have any effect.

My first venture into the game got me lost, outside of the structures I was trying to attack, and after a while I ran across a lone Jedi. Even with my range advantage, I was pretty helpless: the Jedi closed the gap on me and started slicing away. I tried to run, only to continue to get pummeled. I did a little damage, but it wasn’t long before I was struck down.

In fact, my first…oh, five lives went this way. Deploy, attack the command post, get sliced up by Jedi. It turns out that Imperial Agents, and Snipers in particular, are useless on their own and in any kind of close-range combat situation. I had a melee attack that I couldn’t seem to do much with and not a lot of other options. Unfortunately, my primary function was to hide behind stronger teammates, so I had to time my deployments to make sure there were lots of other characters to keep the enemy busy. This likely sounds elementary to most, but it took some effort to learn the movements of my team and I found it a little frustrating to realize I had few options for defending myself if someone happened to sneak up behind me.

At range, though, the Sniper was pretty damn effective, especially against troublesome heavy targets. The Republic had one Trooper specialized as a Commando, who was basically running around with a minigun that ate up Sith who weren’t actively cutting him apart. He was especially irritating, but once I’d found some high ground — up a ramp just to the left of the center control point, which looked down on the choke point through which the Republic troops were forced to pass to reach the center — I was able to inflict some serious damage. Firing heavy shots against enemies engaging Sith dropped them all the quicker; it took a minute or two, but soon the Sith Empire was functioning as more of a unit, and winning victories for the effort.

While we lost the overall match, the “hide-and-shoot” strategy I employed as the sniper secured me the rank of third by the end with something like 16 kills. It wasn’t exactly my style to stay hidden and take pot shots, but it was interesting to find that even a minimal amount of teamwork on my part with other characters turned us into a formidable force. And the game took on quite a bit more fun once I discovered that staying away from Jedi is the best way to play the game.

The moral of my story, it seems, would be to not play SWTOR’s PvP mode unless you’ve got some friends to bring with you. Smart, lightsaber-wielding friends, preferably.

Join the Conversation   

* required field

By submitting a comment here you grant GameFront a perpetual license to reproduce your words and name/web site in attribution. Inappropriate or irrelevant comments will be removed at an admin's discretion.

94 Comments on Hands-On with Star Wars: The Old Republic Player vs. Player

Ankhkharu

On August 11, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Maybe you guys, especially Ross should stick to playing and reviewing Call of Duty. Wouldn’t be a bad idea to get some MMO experience under your belt either since you’re jumping into a fairly complicated gameplay with many abilities on different cooldowns and classes having different strengths and weaknesses. And what is worst, you don’t even have point of reference. Hundreds of other people at SDCC had a blast with SWTOR even though many played it for the first time. What is even the point of this article when the latter part of it feels like written by an emo kid who hates his life and mum equally JUST BECAUSE. You had a picture in your head? What the hell? Waste of my time.

lolfront

On August 11, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Sounds like a couple of guys feeling sore after losing in competitive player versus player, I’d say everything I read was biased therfor gamefront shall not be taken seriously from now on. LOL TERA…

Darth Vader

On August 11, 2011 at 2:09 pm

See you all at launch!

Tom

On August 11, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Seems like you guys are bashing the game cause you got merced in a BG.
L2P, did you expect to rollface with a toon you have never played before, AND you dont even play MMO’s. Trash article.

Tom

On August 11, 2011 at 2:12 pm

And by the way its a smuggler in the trailer at E3 not at BH… God you guys are tards.

I dont always herp

On August 11, 2011 at 2:14 pm

I love the last line…Life is too short to waste time flogging an already dead horse into atoms….As opposed buying the new cod every year amirite?

Btw the ‘bounty hunter’ you are talking about…he’s actually a smuggler. l2research before writing another review.

Darth Vader

On August 11, 2011 at 2:16 pm

This review is terrible. Its a smuggler, not a bounty hunter. LOL
Is this a troll review?

Twitchgamerssuck

On August 11, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Typical trash from want-to-be writers who are used to twitch gaming. if there is thought involved in gaming then they need not apply. stick to the cod games and leave real games for those experienced with them. do not review something you have no understanding for.

Phil Hornshaw

On August 11, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Actually, what you’re all reading here is a PREVIEW, not a REVIEW, and all you’re getting are the impressions of a few guys who sat down and played for about 10 minutes. Seems like an awful lot of you guys are upset that some of us may not have liked out of a sense of loyalty to something that isn’t even available yet. Butthurt much, guys?

TheLoneSage

On August 11, 2011 at 2:24 pm

It’s clear you three are console gamers and not MMO gamers. Anyways, your review screams “I’m biased” and you have done next to nothing to research the game you’re reviewing. This site has officially lost all credibility to the SWTOR Community involving TOR. Stick to your console games.

0/10

-Gamestop Gold Reviewer

Andy

On August 11, 2011 at 2:25 pm

This is actualy the first bad thing I’ve heard about swtor but I can’t even take it serious when you got idiots playing for the first time and dying in bgs because they don’t know how to play their class. Someone should write a review about this site and how dumb the people are.

See you all at launch.

Tom

On August 11, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Dead Phil, are you not REVIEWING your experience at the convention. Dude I honestly hope you guys fired or something this kind of trash doesnt even belong on the internet.

NotAnoob

On August 11, 2011 at 2:35 pm

LOL worst review ever. QQ moar you ing noob.

Marc

On August 11, 2011 at 2:39 pm

0/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

Kurt Lennon

On August 11, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Thanks for the honest review, guys.

You’re gonna get a lot of flack for criticizing something a lot of people have already decided will be outstandingly good, but EA had Mythic design TOR’s PVP so it’s to expected that it will suck.

Jason

On August 11, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Its a smuggler not BH. If you guys got to play PvE you might have a different view of the game. The game is not just pvp in a small warzone. Phils review wasn’t too bad he seem to have one or two braincells and realize you kind of got to fight together as a team to win or have any chance. This style game isn’t like a CoD where you run in guns a blazin. Lol it is funny cuz you all seem like your 18 or 19 when you get older you might get into mmo pvp. The last guy that wrote was the awful he really should be fired or assigned to something else. I know I can’t write, but if I could. I would keep to what I am writting about and get my facts right before I post it.

Peace out bizzles

Shawn

On August 11, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Lets send a group of people that don’t play MMOs to review an MMO. Thats a great idea!

John

On August 11, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Failed to check facts – Check
Sent people would don’t like the game’s genre to review it – Check
Failed to understand that classes have strengths/weakness – Check
Mentioned CoD for no reason – Check

I think you pretty much lost all credibility with this one. Congratulations, if that’s what your aim was.

ermansup

On August 11, 2011 at 5:12 pm

The PvP in TOR might be bad, it really might, because let’s face it we haven’t played it so we can’t know either way. But this piece of journalistic trash certainly doesn’t help in the matter, dear god. It’s like reading a blind mans review of a television.

MMOgamer

On August 11, 2011 at 5:16 pm

Without flaming or personal attacks, serious question. Does this site not have anyone familiar with MMO PvP or MMO’s in general to do this review? I think a lot of the negative comments come from the fact that all the reviews start with “I don’t really play MMO’s”. Yes you could say “It’s just three guys sharing their impressions of the game”, except it’s not. It’s three guys who get paid to give their impressions of games who are trashing a game they didn’t like before they even played it, which doesn’t seem the best way to run a gaming site IMHO.

Scroman

On August 11, 2011 at 5:18 pm

Console gamers get rolled in MMO pvp and badly hide their nerd rage when they review it, more at 9.

bubba hotep

On August 11, 2011 at 5:25 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

my thoughts on how you guys handled this

Jake

On August 11, 2011 at 5:32 pm

What I took away from this
-All of the players seemed “butthurt” that they sucked at the game.
-”Lets send a group of people that don’t play MMOs to review an MMO. Thats a great idea!” -Shawn
-Jordan already made up his mind that TOR is not his game and goes for
T.E.R.A (Korean grind-fest set for next year)
-Ross already made up his mind that TOR sucks when he plays FPS shooters like CoD. Basically he couldn’t handle using teamwork in a game and not being able to one-shot everything.
-The “Previewers” seemed extremely ignorant to the game as Ross points out a bounty hunter in the E3 trailer when he is actually a smuggler.
- I agreed with what Phil said the most as he played the game with an open mind rather then a “it would suck and I won’t like this” mentallilty.
-The Sith inquisitor with the double bladed lightsaber happened to be speced in the advanced class “Assassin” and is NOT a support AC..

If 10 minutes of PvP instanced gameplay at level 20 was enough for you to decide whether or not you should buy the game
That is sad.

Kark

On August 11, 2011 at 5:34 pm

What a “review” kNOWS NOTHING ABOUT A MMO GAME, HAVE NO CLUE ABOUT GAMEPLAY/PVP. Have no clue what you are talking about in general.
How can you write this trash ??Article my ass.Learn the game you consol noobs.

Charles

On August 11, 2011 at 6:23 pm

All of you Swtor fanboys need to stop ing.. Just because they arent in love with the game doesnt mean you need to bash then.. If they had been praising Swtor and Bioware you guys wouldnt be saying any of this.. But since they have complaints they must be bias or sucky console players.. Stop being Biodrones…

Fartknocker

On August 11, 2011 at 6:36 pm

I once had a friend of mine stop by while i was playing EQ2. He said it looked pretty cool but had never played an mmo before, so he wanted to sit down & give it a go.

He played for about 20 mins & was murdered multiple times. I tried to explain some basic strategies & mechanics but you can’t just walk into these types of games. He was turned off by the volume of information I spewed forth & it was too overwhelming for him in a trial environment.

Anyway, this (p)review reminds me of my friend who, to this day, will not touch an MMORPG because it’s too complicated.

Adam

On August 11, 2011 at 6:50 pm

Phil, you guys all made your opinions about it very clear, in which case it’s review, albeit of a preview. Just because you didn’t include a score, doesn’t make it a preview; we can all get an impression well enough of what you think, with words like “Bleh”.

Things to point out.

1: You mention that support classes are weak in the game, yet you talk about having difficulty with the Commando. The Commando is a support class.

2: The Sith Inquisitor Ross played is a Tank/DPS class. It’s not intended to support in the way you think it does.

3: The aforementioned Smuggler/BH mixup

4: Phil says that lightsabers are basically OP, yet Ross uses a lightsaber and dies easy (even though he’s a tank class, haha).

5. Phil says he dies to blasters, which means Smugglers, which are designed to be roughly the same as the Imperial Agents, which the other guys complained of being weak as.

6: Jordan is surprised to find that when sneaking up on an enemy, the enemy has a chance to fight back. Surprise! This isn’t CoD!

So in summary, you guys have a tank class, a dps class, and a support class, and yet you all claim to be support classes. Of course, all of them could be specced DPS, too. You guys simply don’t know how to play.

Terrus

On August 11, 2011 at 7:02 pm

I think what most people, I included, had a problem with this article, was the fact that we are constantly reminded of how the reviews don’t play mmos. Pvp is very challenging even for veterans of the genre, and you decided to send virgins. It is no surprise they got steam rolled. Now, if their review was independent of their being steam rolled, then the review would have been well received, regardless of what it said about the game, HOWEVER, the review was ENTIRELY dependent on their lack of success at pvp, which was caused by their inexperience in the genre..
Are you surprised that most people translated this whole review as:
“I died, therefore it’s the games fault”?

MrFlibble

On August 11, 2011 at 7:06 pm

I’m not sure why this article is even up here.

It seems Phil understands MMOs in general, and after a little bit of trial and error learned the strengths and weaknesses of his class, played to those strengths and tried to work as a team. He used his abilities and backed up his team mates, as the class was meant to do. He had fun.

Jordan tries to solo kill things with a class meant to be support. He says it himself. The class is meant to support other classes, and then he asks why he can’t solo kill classes meant to actually stand toe to toe with each other. That would be like having a purely melee tanking class and then trying to heal or cast ranged spells, and getting pissed off when you can’t. Seriously dude?

Ross wouldn’t have enjoyed the game even if it was the greatest thing ever. He went in expecting to not have fun, and he made damned sure that he didn’t. Being used to the two or three button combat of FPS games like CoD(shoot, throw grenade, melee) he had absolutely no frame of reference to make sense of the various abilities and their synergies. He also seems to not know anything about Star Wars itself, as the things he found annoying about the “bounty hunter” are pretty standard things for the lore.

The lesson to be learned here is to get people to review things who can actually take something meaningful out of the experience and relay them to us. My mom likes to play sudoku. I could get her to play, and write a review for, Battlefield 3 if you guys want.

It would be just about as meaningful as this article.

Rezze

On August 11, 2011 at 7:41 pm

This is hilarious. You can pretty much ignore this review because it is clear they have NO idea what they are talking about. They have no MMO experience what-so-ever. I agree with the others – stick to console games. The only reason anyone would want to read this review is for a good laugh.

MMOgamer

On August 11, 2011 at 8:20 pm

On a related note, I have a lot of MMO experience and took a couple of writhing classes in college. If you guys need someone to review games of this genre in the future let me know and we can talk about compensation. While I don’t have a ton of writing experience, I’ve played enough games to not come off as a total noob when writing reviews.

Bren

On August 11, 2011 at 8:22 pm

This review is what happens when you send real newbies into pvp combat in a foreign game type with no prior experience. Suffice to say, any TOR player at launch will have hours of experience before joining the fray.

EZRider

On August 11, 2011 at 9:41 pm

This article is similar to what would happen if you asked some PETA animal rights activists to review a new hunting rifle. The result is pretty irrelevant.

Guy

On August 11, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Haters gonna hate

LOL

On August 11, 2011 at 10:00 pm

@Charles: Don’t be as retarded as the people that wrote this article. Everyone isn’t bashing them because they’re saying bad things about the game. They’re bashing them because its clear they have NO clue what they’re talking about and probably have never touched an MMO before.

What is this? My support class can’t solo things? It can only…..support?

Phil Hornshaw

On August 11, 2011 at 11:31 pm

You guys have to realize, we’re giving you impressions of the same build and multiplayer match that hundreds of players were dropped into during Comic-Con. This wasn’t a press event, it was a marketing one, where Con attendees were lined up to give the game a shot. You can pick on us for having no idea what we were doing, but that was the point — we’re not in the beta and none of the three of us has had a chance to play SWTOR at all. Like hundreds of people in line, we were given a quick taste of the game with the goal of making us want to buy it. A review is a carefully weighted judgment of all aspects of a title — this was gut reactions.

I routinely have to pick up games I’ve never played before when a review or preview assignment comes down. I always do my research. My time with MMOs might be limited — working as a freelance writer, it’s hard to devote a lot of time to any one game, including WoW or CoD (since you all seem to think we’re CoD players for some reason though I’m fairly certain I’m the only one who plays the game even as much as once a month) — but I assure you I play everything I can as much as I can, including MMOs. I’m certainly not above sitting down and figuring out what I’m doing long before I judge a game, and I think I can speak for my colleagues when I say they do as well. This was not that kind of situation. We were given high-level characters with no idea as to their abilities, what their specs were like, or even how they were necessarily supposed to be used; we didn’t even know what classes we’d receive until we were in the game. The devs and marketing guys on hand mentioned most of the characters were spec’d toward DPS, without mentioning how many or which ones. That’s as much info as we had to go on and we had roughly two minutes to get familiar with actions and buttons.

That said, the preview isn’t about whether or not we learned to play the game, it’s about the impressions we received — just like the numerous other players who were there for 20 minutes to try a game that has received a ton of hype. Ross wrote to the feel and atmosphere of Star Wars as he took it in the game; Jordon focused on the design choices TOR makes that align it more with WoW than, say, other MMOs he feels are pushing gameplay in different directions. They purposely focused on areas that were not as heavily skill-related because we were three guys stepping fresh into a game that’s not even out yet. But in a situation where tons of players were stepping in fresh, everyone felt it was important to note that in the 20 minutes BioWare was trying to sell us on TOR, most of us were not sold.

We were also the only Game Front staff on site for Comic-Con. Our more MMO-savvy writers weren’t able to attend the con this year, so this seemed like a good opportunity to provide an alternate perspective. We were also covering a ton of other games, panels, hands-on opportunities and events — SWTOR was another on a long list.

I’m not apologizing for our preview. We wrote the article of our experience with a game we’re all watching and researching closely. And if these guys say they didn’t have fun, and they explain why, then that’s what you should take away from this. Clearly you guys are all going to buy the game regardless of what we say — or what a hardcore MMO guy like our Ben Richardson says (http://www.gamefront.com/e3-2011-the-old-republic-hands-on-wow-in-space/), or what Rock Paper Shotguns says (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/05/05/hands-on-star-wars-the-old-republic-pvp/), which is very close to what we said. You seem to be ready and willing to hand over your money for SWTOR right now, whether you’ve played it or not. That’s fine. This is a preview. It was our impressions of what we played. And when it comes time for the game to come out and for a review to be written, you can rest assured whoever among us writes it will play the hell out of it, get great at it, and give it the fair shot it requires and the score it deserves. Meanwhile, this was a write-up of an experience, and for some, that experience was bad.


And by the way, I fixed the exceedingly minor “bounty hunter/smuggler” typo so many people have pointed out.

Sayros

On August 12, 2011 at 12:46 am

I want the time I wasted reading this pathetic review from non-MMO players back.

Korva

On August 12, 2011 at 12:47 am

@Phil: On the contrary many of us are very receptive of the idea that the game might not be great on all aspects. I’m perfectly willing to accept it might even be bad. But you just can’t with any intellectual honesty give such strong statements as you do based on a very short time spent playing a game you have no clue how to even play. That is not to say the situation is your fault but the irrational conclusions you draw from it certainly are.

Also you all watch and research the game closely yet cannot tell a bounty hunter from a smuggler? You don’t even need to know the game for that one, the original movie trilogy makes it perfectly clear what a bounty hunter looks like. You are also utterly ignorant about the ACs/classes/roles/. This is all fine but please do not pretend otherwise.

Nova

On August 12, 2011 at 3:13 am

Well its is just to bad that somebody who even dont like and never play MMO games talk bias about it. Its like I talk about surfing and I hate this sport. trolololol

primer

On August 12, 2011 at 3:39 am

lol i hope ppl like u play at launch, free kills for mees. What a piece of garbage article.

Mandrax

On August 12, 2011 at 3:55 am

I like the way that in Phil’s latest statement he links to yet another BIASED review from a different site (Rock Paper Shotgun). In that article the reviewer clearly states

“I should declare my disinterests at the start. When it comes to MMOs, I’m far more interested in PvE than PvP.”

So is it any wonder that the guy didn’t like it? No it isn’t. The guy doesn’t like PvP anyway, why would he suddenly start enjoying it in a game he has never played before on a character he doesn’t understand?

The other link Phil posted was a view from a self confessed WoW player (quote: “a veteran of far too many hours in Azeroth”) so is it any wonder he had nothing of note to say about the game?

Phil why not post a link to Mike B’s preview instead? Mike B is a very experienced PvPer who understands the MMO genre VERY well and his opinion means MUCH more than a bunch of people who don’t like MMOs/PvP anyway.

DarthNemis

On August 12, 2011 at 4:22 am

I liked Phil’s review, or preview i guess.
The other 2 people. Well i’m actually more dissapointed in the fact that bioware didnt properly give the them proper instructions on how to play their AC.
I think you all would have enjoyed playing a sith marauder. It is fast and hard hitting.
I think you all would of actually enjoyed your classes if you fully understood them. support class or not.
Also the guy who did the whole stealth and attempt to assasinate thing. It sounds like he attempted to assassinate a tank class….. It’s unfortunate that you guys wernt informed on,which would be your best targets to kill.

Also out of curiosity, how come we didnt get to hear him use any of the operatives heals? He couldn’t have been playing solo the entire time?

Rezze

On August 12, 2011 at 4:27 am

Still, Phil, there are some things in this article that even someone with no MMO PvP experience would know. I fail to see how someone can play a class called a ‘Sniper’ and think that they can get in the face of someone with a lightsaber and be able to survive and kill them. And how something called an “Assassin” could would be designed to support people. It is common sense.

Rezze

On August 12, 2011 at 4:42 am

Gamefront. If I were you I would be embarrassed to have this on my website.

Amberlyn

On August 12, 2011 at 4:50 am

Good read. Kinda sorry though that the TOR forum goers decided they needed to turn up here and call you guys evil for giving us your impressions.

Being a long time MMO’er myself, and one that is looking forward to TOR a whole bunch, definitely found it interesting to take a look at the game from the perspective of some people who don’t know the genre or who have been following every single announcement Bioware have made about the game for the last 2-3 years. Can’t begrudge the fact that some of you who aren’t familiar with the genre didn’t really enjoy yourselves, especially since mid level PVP is not going to be the easiest place to start out at, even more so if you get stuck with a class you don’t like.

Though in Phil’s case it sounds like you stuck it out, figured out what worked and found some of the fun that was to be had – very promising to hear that the gameplay practically screams at you to team up and work together tactically and rewards you for doing so. And the play style of the sniper definitely sounds like it could be a great thing if done properly.

Kark

On August 12, 2011 at 4:55 am

Hey Phil Quote: We wrote the article of our experience with a game we’re all watching and researching closely.

Are you joking, as we are all saying you guys have no clue what so ever how to play a MMO or how the classes work.An you have no clue what so ever about TOR in any way ! Unlike you we actually know what we are talking about , and we dont have to be any sort of BioWare fanboy to understand this.Plis for the future stick with dumd down gaming like consol games.

Ron Whitaker

On August 12, 2011 at 6:36 am

I have to laugh. The amount of irritation and defensive behavior that this article has caused makes me wonder if any of you aren’t worried about how ToR is going to turn out at launch. This article was a part of our coverage from Comic-con. If you’ve never been to a gaming convention, you have no idea what one is like. It’s a madhouse of people pushing and shoving trying to be next in line to play Game X. This is only intensified at Comic-con, because unlike E3, Comic-con is open to the public. This means that instead of getting to sit down with a developer who explains what’s going on, you’re tossed into a seat, play like mad for 10-20 minutes, and then tossed out. With that in mind, it should come as no surprise that we don’t pick the people that we send to conventions based on one game that they might get to play there.

The Old Republic is a Star Wars property, and as such, it’s going to pull in a ton of people who don’t currently play MMOs. It will also likely pull plenty of MMO vets, like myself. The perspective of three people with limited MMO experience is a perfectly valid one, and not one you’re going to get a ton of. That’s one of the reasons we put this article out there. It’s a perspective that needs more representation, and we’re happy to provide that. Luckily, you guys are here to give those same folks a perspective on what the community in ToR will be like. They’re getting the full experience. Thanks for the help!

Once the time to review ToR rolls around, we plan to have plenty of coverage from our MMO-savvy staff members. We’ll have in-depth previews, a review, and plenty of post launch time with the game as well. Even with all that taken into consideration, it doesn’t make this article any less valid.

I’ll reiterate something I’ve had to say far too often lately: there is no such thing as an erroneous or ‘wrong’ review. There could be factual errors (like the oft-repeated smuggler/bounty hunter thing – not sure why you’re so worked up over that), but barring those, any person’s opinion is valid on any game. Period. That’s why it’s called an opinion. There is no such thing as an objective review. I hate to have to keep harping on this (especially since Jim Sterling did such a fine job at it in this article: http://www.gamefront.com/there-is-no-i-in-review-oh-wait-yes-there-is/), but so few people seem to get it these days.

If you guys like the game, feel free to like it. If someone else doesn’t, they should feel free to dislike it. Choosing what you want to play is part of what being a gamer is all about.

Thaed

On August 12, 2011 at 6:37 am

@Phil:

We understand that you’re trying to give a different perspective. I do, anyway. The fact of the matter is, the second two reviews were written in such a way that it seemed the reveiwers hated the game simply because they were bad at it.

I agree, it’s a bad situation to drop a new player into. You can see that too, clearly. So why write off a game completely (and I acknowledge that you specifically didn’t) when you’ve only experienced one portion, which happens to be a portion that you’re uncomfortable with?

Before you say that Bioware wasn’t marketing the game properly, consider that Bioware is marketing at a different crowd. There have been PvE demos in the past, now they’re doing something geared towards PvP players. This was clearly meant for those who are at least somewhat experienced with MMO PvP; giving it such negative bias is completely unfair if the bias stems from you being bad at the game (and, to re-iterate, this is more directed at the Jordan/Ross segments).

TL;DR, We’re angry because the reviews (or previews, if you like) are heavily laden with bias, not because they’re negative.

FireFly

On August 12, 2011 at 7:11 am

We’ll it seems you were thrown to the wolves on this one, and I can sure understand the mass confusion you all had while playing the game.

Even being a vet of mmo’s myself getting 20+ skills on a level 20 class in SWTOR took me a second or two to nail down. That being said I found TOR’s PvP quite compelling. It’s nothing that is going to rock the mmo scene or anything. Yet it was fun and it does feel right for the IP.

Now I would never think of reviewing anything that I had little to no knowledge about. Reading up on something can’t replace the countless hours of in-game time that many at gaming events have done in the past.

I’m sure if you got to play the origin worlds you experience would be vastly different. That way you could slowly enter the world and learn as you progress along. Not only were the skills alien to you, but the type of game-play is something you do not understand. Every thing from simple moment and to use of skills would have been a monumental task to ask of anyone in your place.

I guess if I had to do a wrightup on Barbie In Wonderland my perception of it would read a lot like this. As I have no interest in it at all.

It’s a shame you get dropped in the deep end on this, but we who play mmo’s have to dismiss this article and forget it happened. You can’t flick a switch and instantly give you knowledge to make you see what a great game you are missing.

Amulrei

On August 12, 2011 at 7:18 am

I have to wonder why you guys even bothered to write this review.

I mean you all obviously had no interest in the game, had no idea what the hell you were doing and could not even be bothered learning the name of the classes.

Why even bother if you are going to do such a half-assed job?

bubba hotep

On August 12, 2011 at 7:24 am

the non mmo’er isnt going to first play at the low 20′s vs a group that probably contains a fair share of mmo vets in it.
your article does NOTHING to help a non mmo’er inform an honest opinion on the games feel.

Don’t say you follow the development on one hand and then say that the smuggler/bounty hunter thing was a small typo on the other.

one of your previewres even complains that he cant kill more than 1 person at a time… thats clearly a FPS mindset, that a few well placed shots can outweigh teamwork. ANY experience in MMO’s results in the knowledge that at an equal level the tiniest bit of teamwork defeats a solo player.

another point in the article is a complaint that the combat didnt feel star warsy and was aimless…… it has 3 objectives… walk towards one of them, if no enemies are there cap it.. THEY WILL COME. Every game type has this combat scenerio, control the node.

you have stealth and heal…… it doesnt take rocket science to figure out that you can easily tip fights between other players into your sides favor and that you are probably personally kinda squisky.

at least as a sniper it only took 5 deaths to figure out “i win if im at range once i have the controls down a bit”
HAD you followed this mmo at all. You would know it was a trinity based game.

The article complains that ToR is an old school mentality that is outdated, why should it be that way.

Every FPS is basically the exact same thing with a different skin and 1 gimmick thats slightly different. So really… maybe you should assess your chosen genre a little.

You guys were put in the prison shower on day one and only one of the three of you survived the experience. But to say the article has a point to help inform non mmo’ers about ToR or ANY MMO is a falacy.

Amulrei

On August 12, 2011 at 7:26 am

Oh and Ross, if you had a double-bladed lightsaber you were a Sith Assassin. Which isn’t a bloody support class…

At least TRY to make the slightest effort to know what the devil you are talking about next time.

Amulrei

On August 12, 2011 at 7:36 am

“Butthurt much, guys?”

What are you, 12 years old…?

Daemonbane

On August 12, 2011 at 8:12 am

“Butthurt much, guys?”

Seriously…do you have any respect for yourself?

DarthNemis

On August 12, 2011 at 8:16 am

I’m not 12 Amulre!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I’m 11……. just kidding :)

genericIntent

On August 12, 2011 at 8:19 am

While I agree with others about the low quality of this…preview, it would be interesting to see what other reviewers with a similar lack of MMO experience say about the PvE portion of SWTOR. That preview would be telling.

Bioware and every other MMO company would find such a review valuable as these are the people they have to win over to build market share.

But again, please don’t send sacrificial lambs into a PvP environment and publish first impressions.

Sylver

On August 12, 2011 at 8:36 am

So basically FPS nerds reviewed an MMO PvP system. With hardly any mmo PVP experience, you should be upset with yourself for failing. You need to learn MMO style PvP to give the swtor pvp a good look.

Rezze

On August 12, 2011 at 8:38 am

“Butthurt much, guys?”

Take that and combine it with this ridiculous article that you only posted for view counts and you get a site that has completely lost any credibility it once had. Congratulations.

DarthNemis

On August 12, 2011 at 9:13 am

I would appreciate this review or preview done by these same 3 people actually. However, i want them to play the PVE part of the game for 20 lvls. This will give them a better understanding of the game. Then i want them to do that warzone again.
I would appreciate a review of that.
Also I want to apologize for the way my community is acting. All 3 of them especially Phil gave some good input. The only thing i took serious issue with was what Jordan said here “That means a healer can buff, benefit, and bring back a squad to their heart’s content, but they can also bash, beat, and burn any enemy that crosses their lone adventure.”

A class that can both Heal, Buff, and do large amounts of DPS is simply to Over Powered. Why even bother rolling a DPS class when you can DPS and Support.
Also Jordan, I think you tried to assassinate a tank. Next time get Ross, and both of you guys go ahead and stealth together. Sneak up on their healers and gank them together. (Make sure the healer doesn’t have the guard buff though.)

Terrus

On August 12, 2011 at 9:19 am

@Phil You guys were trying to give a perspective from a non-mmo playing PoV, but all you did was tell people who don’t play mmos to not just right into lvl 20 pvp.

You would have had 20 levels of experience prior to this event if they game was played at launch. You were thrust into advanced gameplay and of course you failed.

You guys even said that it took u a while to learn how to use your gun….

How can this article be taken as anything more then “we are new to mmos, and therefore pvp isnt fun for us.”
I think most of us are mad because if this review turns away EVEN 1 person before they try it,because they think they will have no idea what to do in that situation, then you have failed as a reviewer. Not because they really would have no idea what to do in that situation, they wouldn’t, but because they would be forgetting that every mmo has a tutorial and a beginners zone to TEACH them how to play an mmo, and by the time they got to lvl 20, and pvped in this same situation, they would do a lot better.

You would do better just accepting that this article failed in what it was supposed to do. Stop defending it blindly, some of us may be crazy fan bois who would kill anyone who argues with swtor, but most of us genuinely think this article was just rubbish

Terrus

On August 12, 2011 at 9:24 am

@Ron: it isn’t about a valid opinion or not, because as a reviewing website, the implication is that you have a high degree of credibility, otherwise you would just be another fan site talking about how much they look forward to, or not in this case, the game. If this site is full of everyday common opinions, then you have failed. As a reviewer, your opinion is supposed to have more credibility attached to it, that is just how it works. When we read an article like this, your credibility plummets, much like if I see Shaq making a commercial for Vagisil. Who is he to say Vagisil works great? The product isn’t for him… However, if he was making a commercial for IcyHot patches, something that a basketball player like him would need to use a lot, then a sense of credibility is preserved. We believe Shaq when he says “I like IcyHot Patches, they make me feel good,” but we don’t believe him when he says “Vagisil helps my feminine itch.”

Dallas

On August 12, 2011 at 9:36 am

What was the point of this article? The only thing I took away from it was that your reviewers don’t like MMO’s and get mad when they don’t know how to play a game.

I am shocked that GameFront is hosting this on their website. I used to use this site all the time for game file downloads and it seemed liked a nice site. I admit I never went to the review/previews section to see what the people here talk about though.

Now that I have, I have lost all respect for the people on this website. I am not a SWTOR fanboy, I am just someone who is interested. When I read previews/reviews I want to read an informed opinion of the game, from people who would enjoy this type of game. This is clearly not what this article is.

If you were going for the whole, “review of someone who have never played an MMO”, you failed. Why? Because the people who reviewed it DO NOT LIKE MMO’s. The last guy specifically said HE DOESN”T ENJOY MMO’s. WHY on EARTH would you make him review the game then?

You should be ashamed for yourselves for submitting this on GameFront.

Angror

On August 12, 2011 at 9:46 am

LMAO, you guys are getting are getting pwnd here as well as @ SDCC. Then you review a post about how bad you sucked and blame it on the game, LMAO. Reading this has made me that much more stupid in RL. Don’t cry foul when clearly the 3 of you know nothing about the game. Next time actualy do the research before you try to review it. Gamefront if you paid for this review and or their trip i would recomend that you get your money back because these 3 wasted your money and our time. Stick to FPS, cause you clearly lack the skill and ability to play an MMO.

Ron Whitaker

On August 12, 2011 at 9:48 am

@Terrus: If this were a full review, or even a preview written from long playtime, I would agree with you. However, this is basically the hands-on impressions of what these three guys took away from a play session shorter than a downloadable demo. In most cases at conventions, unless you have a previously arranged, behind-closed-doors session, you don’t get extended playtime. You have to take what you can get.

As I mentioned before, we didn’t ‘send’ these guys specifically to check out ToR, nor were they ‘assigned’ to it, as everyone seems to think. They were there on the show floor, and as people who like video games, they wanted to try it out and talk about what they took away from that play session. Everyone here seems to think that this was intended to be a full review, or a definitive preview. It’s not. Still, it’s an honest assessment from three guys who hadn’t played the game before.

I’d be interested to see what the response would have been if their impressions had been extremely positive. Would you be making the same arguments? Would you say something like “This article is invalid because these guys don’t play MMOs. Just because they liked it doesn’t mean it’s a good game.” If not, then you’ve just invalidated your entire point.

DarthNemis

On August 12, 2011 at 10:34 am

I agree with what Ron Whitaker says, and i’ll defend him even on the tor forums (already am) and i only have 1 thing to ask.

Ron Whitaker. I would love to see another review by these same 3 people, especially Jordan and Ross. I want a review from people like them, but i want that type of review after they get to lvl 20. (the farther the better, but at least lvl 20.) I know you already said you guys will have lot’s of reviews for this game, but i want those 3.

adam

On August 12, 2011 at 10:36 am

I stopped reading at “Especially for a game developed by a Western developer, for a Western audience, the ability to solo – or at least have a chance – is paramount. ”

You are in a team environment against another team of Human players (not NPC’s) and expect to be able to SOLO kill?
This isn’t Halo.

The very premise that you think this was intended as a Single Player game is shocking, and yes, there are people out there that would rather stand back and “support” Luke than be Luke.

Dallas

On August 12, 2011 at 11:18 am

@Ron
People aren’t upset because the review is positive or negative. They are upset because the review is done terribly. The reviewers don’t like this type of game and just get mad because they lose in PvP. That is the sum-up of this review. Yes, because they cast the game in a negative light, there is more of a response from people. That is because you are defiling the game’s image by posting incredibly ignorant, uninformative, trash as a hands on review.

Jabba

On August 12, 2011 at 11:34 am

Yeah, sorry guys, I wouldn’t pre/review something I had no clue about. I’m sure its hard being a freelance writer but you’ll likely stay freelance for some time if you continue writing without building a solid background…

I’m not quite clear on why someone calls an assassin a support class. Also, it seems like only one of the three tried to stealth with their toon. And why do you go on a rant about the smuggler in the return trailer wearing a hat while giving an opinion about the PvP you got to test? Some writing there..

Sylver

On August 12, 2011 at 11:51 am

All of the “I have never played an MMO” crap aside. There is ample information on routine fan sites such as darthhater or corellian run radio that they had plenty of information at their disposal to go into the warfronts as armed as the next person.

Honestly, this review article is really screaming “i am an FPS player that tried an MMO pvp system for the first time and got owned”

shinyhalo

On August 12, 2011 at 1:27 pm

The reviewers are giving their impression of pvp from a newbie perspective. That is VERY valid since we are all going to be newbs when the game comes out AND a games ability to attract new subsribers and keep them determines it’s success.
The reviewer’s arguments about most MMOs being: Timesinks that feel like jobs, Gankfests where you die too quick, and pointless pvp are all legitimate concerns.

Based on the review it looks like the game might be a fail. SWG 2-like fail.

Hengist

On August 12, 2011 at 2:44 pm

@Ron

“I’d be interested to see what the response would have been if their impressions had been extremely positive. Would you be making the same arguments? Would you say something like “This article is invalid because these guys don’t play MMOs. Just because they liked it doesn’t mean it’s a good game.” If not, then you’ve just invalidated your entire point.”

C’mon now Ron, lets be honest, this preview generated hits, and that’s the name of the game, but I do applaud your straw man argument.

Tell you what, I’ll honestly answer your question. If they had written something positive, and it showed a lack of interest, or knowledge of the subject, I’d call it worthless. Then again, so was this article. If you want to be credible, the idea to know a little bit about what you are talking about, and if the feedback demonstrated that they both understood and dislked it, then it would be worth the readers time, and it would be honest.

Let me draw you an equal analogy (ridiculous) Say we send you to a conference on quantum physics, think you could come back and write a piece about it that would be worth a readers time? Or maybe do you think if you had a working knowledge of it, so you understand the basics that article would come out a little more credible?

I think it’s pretty obvious why folks have jumped on the article. You choose to believe that it is because it is negative. It would appear the rest of the folks take it as a credibility issue. I’m genuinely sorry that you cant see the difference.

Cheers,
-H

LOLOLOL

On August 12, 2011 at 2:51 pm

hahahaha these Reviewers are ing morons. They are complaining about not being able to SOLO people with a support class. Wow what an awful site of scrub Reviewers who don’t know how to play team based games. Scrubsssss

Michelangelo

On August 12, 2011 at 3:30 pm

I honestly tried to give this review objective consideration, and read it all the way through. When I was finished, despite my sincerest efforts, I couldn’t help but roll my eyes, IRL. This may have had something to do with the fact that the final perspective, much more so than the others, came off as nothing but QQ.

My first issue with this is that all three of them are admittedly not MMO gamers or enthusiasts of any kind. One of them admits to preferring FPS as his genre of choice. This was the first indication that this review ought to be taken with a grain of salt. This is not to say the opinions of new players to the genre are not relevant or potentially valuable, but it would have been nice to know that at least one of the reviewers had moderate experience with MMOs.

This goes for PvP as well. Not only do they all admit being new to the MMO genre, this also means (and is a fact clearly apparent by their respective reviews) that they have no PvP experience within the genre either. Again, I think hearing new-player perspectives can certainly be valuable, but it would be nice to have at least one of the reviewers with some MMO PvP experience.

Because of the lack of experience, I find it rather difficult to approach this review with objectivity. They aren’t familiar with MMO mechanics, or control schemes, objective-based scenarios, combat, or roles as they relate to MMO PvP; so they all have difficulty performing with even marginal success, and understandably so. They were apparently ‘thrown’ into random characters without any choice, context, or build-up of any kind. Any MMOer with their salt knows that leveling a character up is a huge factor when it comes to learning how to play that character well–you have to crawl before you can walk; but these reviewers were just thrown into the deep end head first. This also applies to selecting specializations–it typically takes time, experience, and a working understanding of the class and the spec to put together a good build and know what that build is designed to do. So, the fact that they are all new to the MMO genre and its PvP is only compounded by the fact that they had no idea what kind of character they were playing, or what that character was designed and spec’d to do.

In the end, what I took from this review was not that the game was bad, or poorly designed, or lacking in fun… but that PvP in TOR will not be pandering to amateur-hour, and will thus have a decent skill-cap. To me, this is a good thing. So what was at first glance a negative review, actually ends up being positive from where I’m sitting. I don’t want PvP to be easy or simple, I want it to have depth and be challenging. I want it to require effort and skill to excel at it. And from the sounds of it, this is the case.

Jedikillar

On August 12, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Was this an article reviewing/previewing Tor? Or an “I hate mmos they are all trash”? The first guy looked with an open mind, and even though he did somewhat badly from not knowing his class, he still managed to enjoy the game. The 2nd guy was a decent write up, if it did seem a bit biased. 3rd guy was hilarious. But he was writing part of an article. In other words not supposed to be funny. All right, so you don’t like the game. Perhaps if you played it for a month so that you could learn decently enough how to play an mmo in general, and to learn your class, maybe you would change your mind. Maybe not. Either way, if this game is half as good as WoW/WARO, I will play it just for it being star wars. However, from everything I have seen, whether it becomes as popular as either of those game, I believe it will be much higher quality, and fully plan to spend the largest portion of my time playing it in PvP(although this did make me not want to play an IA) and most of my time in pvp as a support class (healing specced SI sorc)

GamefrontHater

On August 12, 2011 at 5:05 pm

Wow..really Gamefront…who ever runs this needs to think twice about what they post..because in all honesty..these 3 morons made you guys look STUPID!!!Next time get a REAL MMOer..that has PVP exp. and then post something thats hopefully worthy of your site…PHIL”im not much of a massively multiplayer person” Jordan”I dont really play MMOs” and OMG ROSS”when it comes to MMOs i really enjoy strict combat control FPS”–I mean did you guys think before you actually typed this down!! You deserve to be slashed down by Jedis constantly..and honestly Gamefront should think twice before they let you fools post anything on their site..i hope i see you panzis in the game (MIDDLE-FINGER)!!!!

Charles

On August 12, 2011 at 5:12 pm

I wish these Tor fanboys would stop bashing people for thier opinions.. Its sad..

Jabba

On August 12, 2011 at 6:32 pm

If you state your opinion you better be ready to get a unch of opinions flying right back into your face

Amulrei

On August 12, 2011 at 6:53 pm

“I wish these Tor fanboys would stop bashing people for thier opinions.. Its sad..”

I have no problem with their opinions. I have a problem with them being completely ignorant to the topic they are trying to talk about then being stubborn and even childish when they are called out on it. Saying not being able to tell the difference between classes is no big deal and even resorting to grade school comebacks when out of any other valid argument is not the sign of a professional games writer.

Rage.

On August 12, 2011 at 7:14 pm

> You admit that your team has no coordination
> You admit your team has minimal experience
> You admit your team all chose support classes
> You state Bioware designed the MMO for Complexity and compared it to single player games
> You mention TERA for no reason several times
> Your enemy team obviously had none of the problems you mention
> ???
> suck less
> profit

DarthNemis

On August 12, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Michelangelo wrote so well. It was the best thing i read all day.

Jason

On August 12, 2011 at 7:17 pm

This has been wonderful reading alot of fun. Weeeeeeeeeeeee!

If they wasn’t there to review and they kind of don’t understand mmo’s why even post this? Wait till you can play from lvl 1 since that is what a new person would start out as. Or have an exp MMO gamer do the pvp review.

Phils review isn’t bad I actually didn’t mind reading it actually took something from it, and it didn’t make TOR shine but I still didn’t mind reading it. The other two shouldn’t of wrote anything.

GerbilHerder

On August 12, 2011 at 8:15 pm

I think this review demonstrates why the real media scoff at most websites. Theres a reason there are paid professional reviewers; so as to not wind up with odiferous bits of dung such as this “preview”.

You don’t send the wine critic to review a car, you dont send the food critic to review an art gallery, why do think its ok to send FPS players who are ambivalent to actively disliking MMOs to review a MMO? Seems like some site could stand to be run by someone who actually knows a bit about proper reviews, especially why you dont post/print reviews such as this that point out your lack of credibility more than anything else.

fds

On August 12, 2011 at 8:22 pm

I simpy cannot admit a review of three noob PvP players.
How the hell can you even write this article without having at least 1750 rating in WoW? It’s ridiculous.

Dill

On August 12, 2011 at 10:24 pm

I can’t believe you wasted all of our time with this bull review. Isn’t this, you know, your job? Shouldn’t you be GOOD at this sort of thing? Throwing 3 no name scrubs out in the open, to test a game that all of them already are prejudiced against… I just… don’t understand what you expect to gain from this cluster of a review.

In short, you guys are awful, wasted all of our time, and I hope that you stick to CoD where you won’t be so butthurt when you one-shot all the 12 year olds that scream in the mic.

wat

On August 12, 2011 at 11:19 pm

So basically, everyone in the review section here is saying you have to be a professional MMO player in order to play MMOs.

Alright.

Worthless s.

Amulrei

On August 13, 2011 at 2:20 am

“So basically, everyone in the review section here is saying you have to be a professional MMO player in order to play MMOs.

Alright.

Worthless s.”

No we are saying you should be at least able to tell the difference between the classes and have a general idea what to do with them.

If I went in to an FPS unable to tell the difference between a shotgun and a sniper rifle, would you respect my opinion on it? If I took said shotgun and tried to kill someone half a mile away with it only to get my ass handed to me, do you really think I should run to the internet and whine about it? That is pretty much what these guys did and are being justifiably called out on it.

Plastick

On August 13, 2011 at 10:26 am

I wish I could have been there to hear them cry every time they got rolled.

This article makes me want to play even more because there will surely be an endless supply of noobs such as this to stand in an orderly line waiting to die at my hands.

knox

On August 13, 2011 at 11:17 am

Phil,

If you guys had been “researching the game closely” you would not have been so clueless about the classes and their abilitites. Other pvp previews have been written that well detail how the different classes have to work together…and if you think a sniper should be able to melee toe to toe with jedi…well, just wow…that is a whole new level of noobishness.

Ignotus

On August 13, 2011 at 1:07 pm

LOL
The first rule of PvP is that there is no such thing as solo. It’s clear by the reviews that “critics” (I use that term loosely) who don’t play MMO’s should not be playing MMO’s and writing reviews on PvP. Play the non-PvP portion of the game which the majority should be solo-able and leave PvP for people who know how to PvP.
Even the most bad-ass Jedi would die when running solo into a PvP area where the enemy has more players.
In the future please refrain from critiquing something that you have no knowledge of.
Here are a couple of nice quotes you should keep in mind.
“We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.”
~Benjamin Franklin~
“Better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt” Unknown

Mike

On August 13, 2011 at 4:37 pm

I would like to preface this by stating that I am indeed a Bioware Tor Fanboi.

Now what does that instantly do to my credibility? I have just stated a clear bias for all to see, anything I say after this isn’t likely to be taken objectively. Why would you do this to yourself then give such a review from such oblivious knuckleheads? There was a genuine gap in knowledge of how the game works and on a larger level, how MMO’s work in general.

PvP is the largest gap to leap in MMO space. It isn’t easy and a lot of people get turned off because of that, three green-horns who just happen to “check out” the game and then write a review on it as if it was done professionally are just asking to get flamed.

I have been to gaming conventions, I attend PAX every year and I know that you get limited time to delve into the games and the big picture tends to get skewed because of it. I remember not being blown away by Mass Effect 2, Fallout: New Vegas, or Halo Reach. However, they all turned out to be fantastic games that I’ve dropped far too many hours into. Never in my wildest dreams would I take 20 minutes of a game and make such definite conclusions. When prefaced by “I don’t play/like MMOS” it comes off as dismissive and ignorant, and thus dismissible.

“I don’t like MMOS, (middle section full of ing), this game’s gonna suck!”

That’s what 2 out of your three reviewers did.

Cheers,
-M

Flagg

On August 14, 2011 at 5:29 am

Thanks for wasting my time with the half-assed, biased, and totally left field review.

A. Nobody reading this review gives 1/2 a about your korean grindfest TERA. Why the hell would you even mention that?

B. To the last guy. Please don’t ever review an mmo again, It’s like sending a retard over to report on the new space shuttle.

C. You had no coordination, concept of how to play your class, or idea of what the term “support class” even means in swtor, yet you bash it.

D. Don’t go into a review with your mind made up. If you had 1/50th of an ounce of journalistic integrity this article never would have been posted.

Have no fear, you will get to pay a subscription for call of ty soon enough. Leave the mmo’s to people who actually have a hint of how to play them.

Thanks for reminding me of how any idiot that can use spell check and form a complete sentence can put his moronic opinion out there for the world to see… then groan about. This was the most useless review of a game I have ever seen by FAR. You guys should stick to talking with 8 year olds in COD.

Mark

On August 14, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Hehe I can’t wait till you SWTOR fanboys get to play the game at launch and realise its just another WoW clone.

And don’t bother replying I won’t be reading your biased opinions of the game you have never played before.

IncognitoHat

On August 14, 2011 at 8:17 pm

If you guys like this, they’ll actually be hosting a tournament or two at Blizzcon.

mathew

On August 30, 2011 at 2:33 am

Shock!! Ron discovered that sniper is damn effective in long range shock!!
He lost 5 times in a row against melee class trying to kill it with range class (sniper) in melee combat SHOCK!!
This game suucks !
End of sarcasm
Well buddy this an MMO game not FPS L2P before posting any review

To the other two guys well let’s say i will keep my opinion to myself it is to CRUEL to be able to post it here