How To Get Rid Of Those Annoying XBLA Ads
Among the worst things about the XBLA interface – perhaps even worse than the fact that the new one is basically daring you not to waste your money on Kinect – is the dashboard ads that have started popping up. Lame. Luckily, Reddit to the rescue. Redditer Absurdlyobfuscated has posted a very simple to follow how-to for getting rid of these obtrusive eyesores. Despite being relatively simple, there’s a lot of things you’ll need to do, so pay attention:
1) Sign up for an OpenDNS account (it’s free).
2) Add a network for your current IP address.
3) Go to Advanced Settings and next to ‘Domain Typos’, check the box ‘Enable typo correction’ if it’s not already checked and apply.
4) Got to Web Content Filtering settings and set the filtering level to ‘None’, and under ‘Manage individual domains’, put rad.msn.com and select ‘Always block’ and then click ‘Add domain’. Screenshot.
5) On your Xbox, go to System Settings -> Network Settings -> (your connection) -> Configure Network -> DNS settings -> Manual, and enter the OpenDNS IP addresses for the primary and secondary DNS servers: 188.8.131.52 and 184.108.40.206.
6) You may need to clear your hard drive cache before ads disappear entirely: System Settings -> Storage -> Hard Drive -> press Y -> Clear System Cache (note that you’ll have to re-download any title updates for any games you play after doing this).
7) No longer pay to be advertised to.