How to Install the Black Mesa Mod: Troubleshooting Tips
Want more Black Mesa cheats, secrets, and collectibles? Download the Game Front walkthrough app for free and enjoy daily video guides, and extras.
Game Front Walkthroughs App on iOS
Game Front Walkthroughs App on Android
There’s a popular misconception going around that, to play Black Mesa, the fan-made Source remake of Half-Life, all you need is to have is any Source game installed. In fact, you need to have the Source SDK Base 2007 installed, which is freely available on Steam.
Watch Mitchell compare the remake with the original. Find even more videos like this on the Game Front Youtube Channel.
While installing Black Mesa installs the SDK on its own, here’s a step-by-step process on how to install these elements separately in case you have any issues.
- Access your Library in Steam.
- Click the dropdown beside the Search bar and select Tools.
- Locate Source SDK Base 2007 in the list and select “Install game.” When the installation is fully complete, the “Not installed” listing will change to “Ready to play.”
- Restart your computer if you’d like to make sure all files update properly.
- Download Black Mesa. There are three separate files to download.
- Run blackmesa-setup.exe, install, and play!
More Black Mesa Installation Troubleshooting Tips
- Verify that the blackmesa.7z and setup.exe files you downloaded are intact, by checking their MD5 hashes. Use this program to do that. Instructions on how to use it are down in the comment section of the Black Mesa download page.
- After downloading, put all 3 files in a single folder, and run the setup.exe file. No need to extract the .7z beforehand. The setup process will do that for you automatically.
- If you’re hitting a 502 bad gateway error while trying to open the file pages on Game Front, CTRL+F5 a couple times. They should come back.
- To launch the game, open Steam. Black Mesa should be in your Steam Library now. If it isn’t, try restarting Steam.
- Make sure you have the 2007 Source SDK installed, which is freely available on Steam. Click the dropdown next to the search bar, click “Tools,” and select the SDK. Restart your computer after it’s installed. Alternatively, you can just click this link.
- If the blackmesa.7z file is giving you trouble (i.e. if the setup file “can’t find” the .7z file), try uninstalling and then reinstalling 7-zip.
- Always run the setup.exe file in administrator mode.