Kirby’s Return to Dreamland Walkthrough
Table of Contents
- You didn’t think that was it did you? Prepare for things to get really epic now that you’re in the last stage. It’s only one “stage” but it’s long enough to be several compared to what you’ve been through so far.
- First you’ll go through a couple of subsections where you’re…in a side-scrolling shooter? You’ll ride your dragon and hit 1 to fire (you can charge, too) and 2 to dodge off your plane for a moment. There’s nothing too tough about this until you get to the region where the scenery tries to crush you, but just bide your time and you’ll be fine. Take out the big enemies as soon as you can, and look for fruit near the end to load up for your first toe-to-toe with Magolor. Kind of.
- Here you’ll actually fight his ship, not him at all, and it’s an easy start. He will fire two kinds of shots at you, small shots and larger ones that home in on you. He’ll also do an attack where he sweeps the entire screen, but slowly enough you can stay ahead of it and get out of its way. Once you’ve done enough damage, he’ll switch sides of the screen to get behind you for a while, but that’s all there is to it.
- Next you’ll go planetside and choose from a wide array of weapons and NOW face Magolor for real. Expect to fight him a few times before you get used to his patterns, but the prime thing to watch out for are blobs that he drops that turn into stalacmites erupting from the floor. You can stand between them, but they shift and redeploy quickly, or you can float above them and take shots at the bad guy. His primary attack, however, are three glowing orbs, which you can dodge if you’re fast.
- Once he’s taken some damage he’ll try some other dirty tricks. He’ll fire a giant beam at you, which is easy to see, and not too hard to avoid, but his really cheap attack is a giant black hole in the middle of the screen. Avoid it at all costs, try to stay on the ground and dash, as if you’re in the air, you won’t be able to avoid being sucked in, which causes massive damage and the loss of your weapon. Avoid this at all costs, obviously.
- You remember the stars as life bar thing right? When you get Magolor down to nothing, he’ll retreat, re-energize, and you’ll have to fight minions in the foreground to get super weapons, which will clear out the minions and allow you to take a good shot at the boss. You’ll use three different weapons by the time this is done, whether you like it or not, and when you finally, FINALLY get Magolor down to 0 life, you’ll bust out the sword and beat him down.
- But of course you’re not done yet there either. Fortunately if you die in the next encounter, you’ll start here, against Magolor phase two, as opposed to going back all the way. If you’re good with it, take the Fighter weapon.
- He has some new attacks, of course, including throwing out black hole stars and joining them with deadly beams, there are a few variants of this attack, but it amounts to the same thing, and then there’s two giant black hole stars on either side of the screen. They’ll either be high or low, so get above them or below them. Magalor will charge between the stars in a brutal attack that you must avoid. He will also attack with sweeping sword blows, one to each side, and a bizarre “window” attack. When the window appears, float up so that you’re in the area where one of the panes will be when the window blasts from the background into the foreground. Otherwise, keep your eye out for all the same shenanigans as the first fight. It’s a LOT to watch out for.
- Likely you’ll need to go through this a number of times, as there isn’t a really good secret to defeating him, just learning his patterns and how to deal with them. At least you don’t have to keep starting over though! Once you put him down for the second time, congratulations, you’ve beaten the primary game mode in Kirby’s Return to Dreamland!