Lord of the Rings: War in the North Walkthrough
Table of Contents
- ACHIEVEMENT: You earn the Elf-Friend achievement for 10 points for joining your new companions.
- Follow your new pals. Have the eagle take out the crossbow, then clear the courtyard. Then, sadly, since they kick ass, your new friends will leave you. Use the crossbow to take out the mass of goblins to follow. Most will come up the center, but archers will attack from your 10 o’clock above you. Just hold the trigger down and watch the overwhelming destruction. After that, the door behind you will open and you meet your first orc! Through this door is a pile to loot and your introduction to the psycho sappers, which you need to drop with arrows before they get to close. Once they’re cleared, move into the room and turn around for another secret silver star stash.
- Move up the slope and you’ll get another round of sappers. There is a red ball to shoot, and once they’re clear, another red ball will open the next path, but don’t stand too close, as two more sappers come out right away. Then proceed through the checkpoint. You’ll be faced with an orc magic caster who is protecting the big crossbow, so you must get through the shield to drop him, then throw the switch for the gate, and then use the crossbow to cover your ass till the gate opens.
- Once the gate opens, do some looting and proceed. You’ll be stuck on this bridge for a while, and now is one of those times when playing co-op is really handy, since your teammates’ AI isn’t great. You’ll be attacked by sappers from one side, then the other, then both, and someone will get through because it’s impossible to cover both sides at once. Then soldiers swarm the bridge, then some sappers join the party, etc. It’s not that tough if you keep your head, but it’s way easier with a smart team. Your friends will eventually show up to let you through the gate.
- In the next open area, take out two archers up and to the left, then shoot the blasting powder at the base of their tower. Straight ahead of you is a transpo point where you can restock and repair, which is probably a good idea by now.
- Head up the ramp made by the tower and look for a chest up and to the left. Then cross the gate and pull the lever. On the other side is another chest before you go down and through the gate.
- Through the gate you’ll be trapped again. There is another crossbow, which will help no end, but you will occasionally have to drop off to clear out guys who get through. You’ll be attacked from the right, then the left, then both, and then it all just goes to hell. Watch out for waves of sappers, and use them against the goblins as much as you can. Archers will be above you on both sides as well, but at least no one attacks you outright from behind. Once the action is done your fair-weather friends will show up just in time to let you through.
- On the other side there is a small skirmish, led by an orc caster, but it’s a lot easier than the last time, at least just because there are fewer opponents. Get inside the shield, put him down, and everything is a lot easier from there. The gate will open, a few more bad guys will come through, and then there’s a final checkpoint and summary before the citadel itself.