Mario Kart 8: Unlockable Characters, Parts & Karts Guide
Earn gold trophies and get big rewards in Mario Kart 8 with our super-fast unlockables guide. There are 14 characters to unlock, 2 alternate title cards, 1 extra mode, 1 Golden Kart, and a ton of parts to earn — if you know what to do. Don’t waste time on the track, go for first place and get everything there is in Nintendo’s WiiU racer.
For more cool karting on GameFront, watch Mitch and James take on Mario Kart Wii.
Unlockable Characters, Parts & Karts Guide
Work-In-Progress: It’s still early, so there might be even more to unlock! Did we get something wrong or are we missing something? Let us know in the comments!
How to Unlock Characters
- Out of the 30 characters available in Mario Kart 8, 16 are available from the start while the additional 14 need to be unlocked.
- To unlock a character, you’ll need to earn Gold on any track. Getting a Gold Trophy will unlock one of the 14 characters listed below:
- Metal Mario
- Baby Rosalina
- Gold Peach
How to Unlock Parts
- There are tons of parts to unlock in Mario Kart 8. You’ll unlock Glider parts, Wheel parts, and Body parts to customize your rides.
- To earn more of these, you’ll need to collect Coins. At every 50 coin interval, you’ll unlock a new part.
- Coins are earned in Grand Prix, VS Mode, and in online races. Every time you collect 50 coins, another part will unlock.
- After earning 1,000 Coins, the intervals increase to 100 Coins for each unlockable part.
How to Unlock the Gold Kart
- There is one hidden Kart in Mario Kart 8; the Gold Kart. You can earn it by getting Gold on every track.
- Not exactly easy, but you’ll be able to show off with a shiny new ride if you can pull it off.
How to Unlock Mirror Mode
- This additional racing mode unlocks after earning Gold Trophies on all 8 Grand Prix tracks.
How to Unlock an Alternate Credits & Title Screens
- Finally, you can get a different credits sequence and new Title Screens for multiplayer / singleplayer game modes.
- All you’ve got to do is earn Gold Trophies on every 150cc speed race, and every Mirror Mode race.