Mass Effect 3: How To Get The Best Ending
Want more Mass Effect 3 cheats, secrets, and collectibles? Download the Game Front walkthrough app for free and enjoy daily video guides, and extras.
Game Front Walkthroughs App on iOS
Game Front Walkthroughs App on Android
You’ve found every weapon, every piece of armor, finished Mass Effect 3 a second (or third) time, but you know something is missing. There are many endings available in Mass Effect 3, but it takes dedication and commitment to uncover every last slice of the finale. Learn how to get the best possible ending for you, and truly complete this massive game.
(3/11/2012: Updated with all three endings, plus the extended ‘Renegade’ Long Service Medal ending.)
Below, check out how to get the best possible endings out of your final choice in Mass Effect 3. While there are only three major choices, they have many variations and versions all depending on your EMS and a decision at the end of ME3! Spoil yourself completely and check out the possible endings below.
We try to keep story details to a minimum, but there are bound to be…
Mass Effect 2 & 3 Spoilers Ahead!
How To Get The Best Ending
UPDATE: We’re working to clarify and learn more about the ‘Perfect’ Ending in ME3! Stick with us as we update the page with new information. Below you’ll find the THREE major confirmed endings, plus the rumored ‘Perfect’ Ending, which is an extension of the Renegade Ending.
Readiness Rating & Effective Military Strength
- Total Military Strength is just the total number of War Assets you have acquired. These are collected during your choices in the game, by completing side-quests, how you solve problems during the single-player campaign, and through exploration of the Galaxy Map.
- The Readiness Rating can be increased through online co-op play. It starts at a base 50% rating that can be increased. The higher the rating, the fewer War Assets you’ll need for a perfect EMS score.
- For example, if your Readiness Rating is at 100%, you’ll need half as many War Assets. The Readiness Rating works with a simple algorithm. A 50% Readiness Rating multiplies your Total Military Strength score by .5%.
- If you play the co-op multiplayer and increase your Readiness Rating to 75%, your Total Military Strength score will be multiplied by .75%. Your Readiness Rating will increase through online co-op play, but will steadily decrease as time passes, giving you a very narrow window to play with a 100% Readiness Rating.
- There are enough extras, collectibles, and side-missions in the single-player campaign to earn the maximum EMS rating without having to play online.
[Video By RabidRetrospectGames]
- At the very end of the game, you’ll have two choices. Control the Reapers, or Destroy the Reapers. The blue, or left option, leads to ‘Controlling’ the Reapers.
- No matter what, this option will kill Shepard. But, Earth will always be saved as long as you go into the Final Battle with at least 2,350 EMS. If you want to save the Earth, but don’t have the EMS score up to 4,000 — take this option! Unless you want the planet Earth turned into a charred husk.
[Video by DeadShep]
- At the very end of the game, you’ll have two choices. Control the Reapers, or Destroy the Reapers. The red, or right option, leads to ‘Destroying’ the Reapers.
- Choosing to destroy the Reapers also destroys all synthetic life in the galaxy, including Shepard. EDI, the Geth, and the Reapers are all destroyed.
- If you’re willing to make that sacrifice, you can make the Renegade choice.
[Video by mikelhk]
- For this ending, you’ll need at least a 2,800 EMS score before entering the final battle on Earth. It doesn’t matter whether you destroyed the Collector base or not. The option won’t appear, and might not even be alluded to!
- To experience this ending, you’ll have to follow the middle path. Between the two choices, red and blue, you’ll find a massive energy beam. Walk into it to initiate the neutral ending.
- Doing so leads to Shepard creating synergy between all living things — organic and synthetic. That means all life is part organic, and part synthetic, leading to a future peace between all species.
- Despite that, the Mass Relays are still destroyed.
“Perfect” Long Service Medal Ending
NOTE: This special secret ending is NOT the short sequence following the credits where an old man (Voiced by Buzz Aldrin!) speaks to a child. Wait until afterward!
Rumored Content Below! Check back for new updates!
- To get the “Perfect” Ending in Mass Effect 3, play the game with the New Game+ option or with an imported character from ME2, with an achieved 4000+ EMS rating and choose the Red, or Renegade Option. With 4000+ EMS you must rescue Anderson from the Illusive Man’s execution. With 5000+ EMS, you can rescue Anderson or let him die. This ending comes after a short post-credits conversation between a man and child.
- During NG+ or with an imported character from ME2, the Prejak Paddle Fish will counts as a War Asset, which in turn increases your EMS (Effective Military Strength) score. That means you’ll want to invest in a Fish-Feeding VI. Learn how to find the fish on our Prejak Paddle Fish Easter Egg page.
- Shepard seemingly is killed, but the ending will be extended slightly with a shot of Shepard’s charred armor as it takes a deep breathe after the short “Stargazer” segment. According to fan theory, maybe that stuff on the Citadel was a hallucination!
- Get out there and get cracking, Shepard!
Was it worth it? Have we been tricked by Cerberus agents? You tell us in the comments below.
Game Front’s Official Mass Effect 3 Video Walkthroughs
Like our videos? Subscribe to our YouTube channel!
Mass Effect 3 Walkthrough Playlist (w/ Mitch – FemShep Paragon)
Mass Effect 3 Walkthrough Playlist (w/ James – MaleShep Renegade)