Microsoft’s Spin on the September NPD Figures
Yesterday, the September NPD figures were released (software and hardware) and essentially read, “Halo 3 sold a lot. Xbox 360 also did. And the Wii did, too.” The PlayStation 3 didn’t fair particularly well, and virtually every other game sold worse than what was anticipated.
So, as you would expect, Microsoft is feeling all high and mighty, and have contorted the numbers around to make them look as good as possible. Some of the highlights:
- Xbox 360 outsold PS3 5:1
- 50% increase in sales over August for the 360
- PS3 had an average weekly decline of 27%
- Xbox 360 software revenue outsold PS3’s portfolio 8:1 and the Wii’s 4:1 and sold three times more both systems combined
- Xbox 360 software was 74% of total software sales on next-gen market, compared to Wii’s 17% and PS3’s 9%
- Without counting Halo 3, the Xbox 360 portfolio outsold the PS3’s 2:1
- Xbox 360 has the most top-rated next-gen games, with 80 games averaging 80 or higher on Metacritic, compared to the PS3’s 31 and the Wii’s 11
- The Orange Box and Mass Effect have both got scores higher than 97 and higher on Metacritic
They also go on to claim the fact that the Xbox 360 held six spots in the top ten console games rankings, including #1, 2 and 3 being the three versions of Halo 3. And to boot, the Legendary Edition of Halo 3 sold more than twice as many units as Heavenly Sword, leading them to say, “The helmet is mightier than the sword.” How clever.
As opposed to last time I broke down Microsoft’s spin on the NPDs (or as I like to think of it, simply putting things in perspective), I feel this can all be wrapped up pretty quickly. Yes, Microsoft, your games are selling well but even in what will likely be your best month, the Wii had an incredible month, the PS2 version of Madden 08 outsold the 360 version, Mass Effect has been reviewed by a single publication and a 50% jump isn’t a huge one considering the Xbox 360 didn’t have a huge month in August and Halo 3 was released in September.
Oh, and that line about the helmet sucked.