Microsoft Gamescom 2014 Press Conference Recap
Microsoft just completed its Gamescom 2014 press conference, and there’s plenty of info to share.
First, the big news. MS announced that Square Enix’s Rise of the Tomb Raider will be exclusive to Xbox One when it launches holiday 2015. That’s a big surprise for a game that Square said took nine months just to break even.
343 Industries featured gameplay from Halo: The Master Chief Collection, including a brief look at Halo 2′s Sanctuary map. Also, the Halo channel will be launching on Xbox One and PC, bringing players a place to watch Halo-related videos including the Halo: Nightfall series. Lastly, 343 confirmed that you will be able to earn things in the Halo 5 beta that will carry over after the game releases.
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare showed off a look at the single player mission in which the Golden Gate Bridge gets blown to smithereens, featuring the new exoskeletons. They also announced a new Xbox One bundle featuring a custom CoD controller and console design, a 1 TB hard drive, and a digital download of Call of Duty Advanced Warfare. The bundle will retail for $499.
Sunset Overdrive had a brief trailer that ended with Insomniac CEO Ted Price announces a new Xbox One bundle that includes the long-awaited white Xbox One, a white controller, a digital copy of the game, and some in-game items for $399.
The third and final bundle announced today was an EU-exclusive FIFA 15 package that includes a Xbox One Console, a digital token for FIFA 15 and an Ultimate Team Legends Gold Pack that will retail for £349.99/€399.99. There will also be a FIFA 15 Xbox 360 bundle.
Apart from those, there’s lots more to talk about. Here’s the list:
- Your GTA Online progression can be transferred to Xbox One from PS3 or 360 once GTA 5 launches.
- DLC for 2K’s 4v1 shooter Evolve will come to Xbox first.
- We got a first look at the time manipulating gameplay of Quantum Break from Remedy Entertainment. The short glimpse showed how the time mechanic can be used to frustrate and defeat your enemies. It was like Alan Wake with time manipulation replacing the flashlight.
- A new trailer for Assassin’s Creed: Unity was shown off.
- There was a long list of indie titles shown off for the ID@Xbox program, including Dungeon of the Endless, Goat Simulator, Smite, Space Engineers, Massive Chalice, Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime, and more.
- We saw a short gameplay demo of Ori and the Blind Forest that showed off the beautiful art style of that game.
- Forza Horizon 2 was shown off, with a heavy emphasis on the game’s social features and multiplayer offering.
- Forza 5 showed up briefly, just long enough for Turn 10 to announce that they’re bringing electric open-wheel cars and Rolls Royces to the game for free, and that they’re available now.
There’s sure to be plenty more info from Gamescom when the show floor opens tomorrow, but for now, it’s safe to say that Microsoft has continued on its “games first” mission with this press conference, as there was really no mention of any other console features, save the brief spotlight on the Halo channel. Also, Kinect was nowhere to be seen.
We’ll have more Gamescom news for you throughout the week. You can follow it all on our Gamescom page.
Looking for the Sony Gamescom presser recap? You can find it right here: Sony Gamescom 2014 Press Conference Recap!