Modern Warfare 3 Campaign Skill Achievement / Trophy Guide
Playing through the campaign of Modern Warfare 3, there are many challenges (Most of which are covering in our text and video walkthrough.) but some don’t strictly relate to just killing Russians. There are several special skill-based achievements / trophies available for those looking for a little extra challenge in their campaigns. Some of these can be tricky, so let us offer a few handy tips to make unlocking these achievements a breeze.
For more special content related to Modern Warfare 3, browse over to our cheats page.
Campaign Skill Achievement / Trophy Guide
This is My Boomstick: Kill 30 enemies with the XM25 in “Black Tuesday.”
- In the first mission, after the prologue, you’ll start with the XM25. Just switch weapons, it’s a powerful automatic grenade launcher. Keep it with you and use it whenever you can, and do not switch it for another weapon.
- If you run out of ammo, you can find ammo crates to refill after passing through the Jewelry Store, or just as you enter the Stock Exchange.
- Climbing up to the top of the Stock Exchange, a ton of enemies will pour out of the front entrance — plenty of enemies to finish up and unlock this achievement / trophy.
What Goes Up: Destroy all the Choppers with only the UGV’s Grenade Launcher in “Persona Non Grata.”
- Near the end of the mission, you’ll have access to a UGV armed with an unlimited Minigum, but a Grenade Launcher limited to 25 shots. Save your grenades for the choppers — and if you’re having trouble, lower the difficulty.
- There are five helicopters total you’ll need to shoot down. Just as you leave the shack, one chopper will appear.
- Driving down the street and onto the construction, three more will show up in rapid succession.
- The last chopper appears over the final construction zone where Nikolai’s helicopter is waiting.
Flight Attendant: Kill all 5 enemies during the zero-g sequence in “Turbulence.”
- After leaving the conference room, just as you walk into the open area, the plane will buck and you’ll enter a zero-g sequence.
- Before entering this area, pick up an AK74s-U from one of the enemies to go with your pistol. You’ll need the extra ammo, and you can quickly switch back to your pistol if your SMG runs dry.
- Kill all five enemies before the sequence ends. The only trick is knowing where they are, but you can restart from the checkpoint and try again if you miss it.
For Whom the Shell Tolls: Destroy all targets during the mortar sequence with only 4 shells in “Back on the Grid.”
- After you’re caught and take out the mortar gunner in the tower, you’ll gain control of the mortar yourself.
- Targets will appear, along with other enemies, but you only need to focus on the enemies marked target. Save your shells for them.
- Wait for each of them to bunch up before firing your mortar, and shoot for only four shots. The enemies come in four waves, if you’re worried about dying, or need more time to wait for enemies to bunch up, lower the difficulty so you can survive longer.
- If you miss, reload the previous checkpoint and try again.
Kill Box: Kill 20 enemies with the Chopper Gunner in a single run in “Return to Sender.”
- You’ll get a chance to remotely take control of the helicopter during this mission, and you’ll have only two chances to complete this achievement.
- The chopper does not run out of ammo or overheat, so hold down that trigger.
- There are more enemies bunched up during your second run, making it slightly easier to pull off. Still, this can be tricky, and requires patience and practice.
Danger Close: Take down a Chopper with the AC-130 Smoke Grenade in “Bag and Drag.”
- After gaining access to smoke grenades to take out a tank, you’ll continue forward and run into choppers dropping troops.
- This is simple, just close in and throw smoke underneath a helicopter. Move quickly to drop smoke before the choppers escape, but they’ll stick around as they drop off soldiers.
- If the amount of gunfire in the area is slowing you down, just lower the difficulty, and move in. After spotting the helicopters, if you miss, reload the checkpoint.
Menage a Trois: Destroy 3 tanks with a single 105MM shot in “Iron Lady.”
- At the start of the mission, you’ll control an AC-130 Gunship looking over a large circular square packed with vehicles.
- Switch to the 105MM cannon, the largest weapon with the longest reload time.
- Don’t start shooting yet, just aim down and watch. The tanks will bunch up after a few minutes. Wait until they’re close together, then drop a 105mm shell between all three.
Nein: Kill 9 enemies with A-10 strafing runs in “Scorched Earth.”
- After landing on the roof of the Reisdorf building and sniping some Soviet soldiers, you’ll be given access to the A-10 strafing run.
- To effectively place coordinates, use the two markers to create a firing line. The first marker signifies the beginning of the strafing run, while the second signifies the end of the run.
- Wait until a large group of enemies run out of the building to your left, down at the street junction below. You don’t have to kill all 9 enemies in one run, just keep setting those coordinates and aim for the gang of soldiers below before taking out the tanks on the road.