This mod improves the game graphics and gameplay. The mod consists 3 parts so users can install any parts on their choice. The first part includes a revamped game engine, provides dynamic lights of shootings, fires and explosions. Besides of this the new engine provides improved world detail drawing so the picture became is much detailed than with classic game engine. In addition, there is improved commanding of player's companions was added. Also this part includes the config files for optimal graphics settings. The second part includes some modified maps with removed the unlimited enemy respawn and modified gameplay. The third part includes the config files to adjust the weapon params and enemy health for more realistic and interesting gameplay.
Detailed description of mod parts
The 1-st part includes:
- Dynamic lights of shootings, fires and explosions;
- Enhanced distance of drawing the small detail such as grass or other vegetation. Unlike the standard "cl_detaildist" console variable, which can be automatically changed when new map is loaded, Rivarez mod provides the constantly visible detail distance with no depending on anything;
- Vanilla game hides some inner space(e.g. inside the house) if the player moves away a distance from it. Rivarez mod show all of this inner spaces;
- Disabled the transparent fading of different map object. In standard game the different map object can transparent fading when player is removed from such object for a some distance;
- Disabled the brass fading when shooting;
- Fixed a bug with shotgun double barrel shooting. In standard game the double barrel always shoots with 12 pellets, even if single barrel shoots with 15 pellets for example. In Rivarez mod the double barrel shoots with twice count of single barrel pellets. The count of pellets in single barrel shoots defined by standard "sk_plr_num_shotgun_pellets" variable. Also the double barrel shooting ejects two brasses instead the one brass in standard game;
- Vanilla game allows player to command only unnamed NPCs. Rivarez mod allows player to command all friendly NPCs includes Barney, Alyx, Vortigaunts etc. NPCs can wait the player until he comes back and call their to follow him. This allows e.g. to avoid the stupid death of Alyx from combines. There is a new key binding in game menu "Say 'Wait here...' / 'Lets go!'" for this opportunity;
- Disabled the fade of dead bodies. Vanilla game allows you to use the standard "g_ragdoll_..." console variables to adjust the dead bodies count. But if you set any large values of this variables then game will be crushed when you playing or loading the saved game. Rivarez mod provides the unlimited dead bodies count;
- Disabled the fade of chunks of bodies, a piece of wood/metal/rocks/etc.
The following new console variables are added:
- rivarez_dynamic_lights (default 1), set 1 to enable dynamic lighting for shooting, fires and explosions, set 0 to enable the standard 'muzzleflash_light' cvar;
- rivarez_detailtransparentfade, (default 0), set 1 to enable the standard transparent fading of world details at distance;
- rivarez_detaildist (default 9000), a distance at which detail props are visible, set 0 to enable the standard 'cl_detaildist' and 'cl_detailfade' cvars. Also defines a distance at which inner details (e.g. inside the house) are visible. Set 0 to enable the standard 'areaportalwindow' feature;
- rivarez_fadebrass (default 0), if 0 then ejected brasses will not fade and will be slightly smaller;
- rivarez_fadecorpses (default 0), if 0 then the dead bodies will not disappear;
- rivarez_fadegibs (default 0), if 0 then a chunks of bodies, a piece of wood/metal/rocks/etc will not fade.
The 2-nd part includes:
- Half-Life 2 maps:
- In Ravenholm removed the infinite respawn of zombies at level where player moves the platform and climbs onto the roof. Also removed infinite respawn of fast headcrabs in the mine;
- Removed the infinite respawn at level where Alyx is on the square a long time fiddling with opening the gate and at this time the combines are attacks continuously from two opposite sides. Now you can kill few combines and wait for Alyx open the gate and only after she tells you to knock out the energy ball with gravity-gun, the combines will attacks constantly;
- Removed the infinite respawn striders;
- Removed the infinite respawn of combines at level with the horse statue, where the combines shoots from the roof of dilapidated building and then strider breaks the wall for the passage. NOTE: Don't kill this strider until he breaks the wall.
- Episode 1 maps:
- At all levels removed respawnes of antlions, zombies, combines, striders. Therefore on some levels a gameplay was changed. Example, now at some maps the gates is initially opened and others are closed and player must find another way to enter into it.
- Episode 2 maps:
- At the level where player must get ant's extract for Alyx, now the Antlion Guard can be killed;
- Removed unlimited respawn at level where Gordon and Alyx get ambushed in the house (when Gordon goes with Alyx on the road and close to home the force field is activated). The gameplay at this map piece is also changed;
- Changed the ending at final map.
Just rewrite the content of corresponding folder (Part1, Part2, Part3) into the folder with Half-Life 2 game (there, where the hl2.exe file placed). Also it's recommended to use the "Half-Life 2 Update" with this mod.