This mod improves the game graphics and gameplay. The mod consists 3 parts so users can install any parts on their choice. The first part includes a revamped game engine, provides dynamic lights of shootings, fires and explosions. Besides of this the new engine provides improved world detail drawing so the picture became is much detailed than with classic game engine. In addition, there is improved commanding of player's companions was added. Also this part includes the config files for optimal graphics settings. The second part includes some modified maps with removed the unlimited enemy respawn and modified gameplay. The third part includes the config files to adjust the weapon params and enemy health for more realistic and interesting gameplay.
The 1-st part includes:
- Dynamic lights of shootings, fires and explosions;
- Enhanced distance of drawing the small details such as grass or other vegetation. Unlike the standard "cl_detaildist" console variable, which can be automatically changed when new map is loaded, Rivarez mod provides the constantly visible details distance with no depending on anything;
- Vanilla game hides some inner spaces (e.g. inside the house) if the player moves away a distance from it. Rivarez mod shows all of this inner spaces;
- Disabling the transparent fading of different map objects. In standard game the different map objects can transparent fading when player is removed from such object for a some distance;
- Disabling the brass fading when shooting;
- Fixed a bug with shotgun double barrel shooting. In standard game the double barrel always shoots with 12 pellets, even if single barrel shoots with 15 pellets for example. In Rivarez mod the double barrel shoots with twice count of single barrel pellets. The count of pellets in single barrel shoots defined by standard "sk_plr_num_shotgun_pellets" variable. Also the double barrel shooting ejects two brasses instead the one brass in standard game;
- Vanilla game allows the player to command only unnamed NPCs. Rivarez mod allows player to command all friendly NPCs includes Barney, Alyx, Vortigaunts etc. NPCs can wait the player until he comes back and call their to follow him. This allows e.g. to avoid a stupid death of Alyx from combines. There is a new key binding in game menu "Say 'Wait here...' / 'Lets go!'" for this opportunity;
- Disabling the fading of dead bodies. Vanilla game allows you to use the standard "g_ragdoll_..." console variables to adjust the dead bodies count. But if you set any large values of this variables then game will be crushed when you playing or loading the saved game. Rivarez mod provides the unlimited dead bodies count;
- Disabling the fading of bodies chunks, a pieces of wood/metal/rocks/etc.
The following new console variables were added:
- rivarez_dynamic_lights (default 35), Values more than 0 enables dynamic lighting for shooting, fires and explosions. Set 1 to enable dynamic lighting for basic objects. Set 2 to add the dynamic lighting for entities (eg monsters). Set 3 to enable dynamic lighting for all objects. Set more than 3 to determine a minimum FPS that game will strive to maintain by automatically changing the difficulty level (1-3) of dynamic lighting. Set the values, described above, but with a minus sign, to switch a blue muzzleflash and blue dynamic lights from AR2 into the standard yellow color. Set 0 to enable the standard 'muzzleflash_light' cvar;
- rivarez_detailtransparentfade (default 0), set 1 to enable the standard transparent fading of world details at distance;
- rivarez_detaildist (default 9000), a distance at which detail props are visible, set 0 to enable the standard 'cl_detaildist' and 'cl_detailfade' cvars. Also defines a distance at which inner details (e.g. inside the house) are visible, set 0 to enable the standard 'areaportalwindow' feature;
- rivarez_fadebrass (default 0), if 0 then ejected brasses will not fade and will be slightly smaller;
- rivarez_fadecorpses (default 0), if 0 then the dead bodies will not disappear;
- rivarez_fadegibs (default 0), if 0 then a chunks of bodies, a piece of wood/metal/rocks/etc will not fade.
The 2-nd part includes:
- Changes for Half-Life 2 maps:
- In Ravenholm removed the infinite respawn of zombies at level where player moves the platform and climbs onto the roof. Also removed infinite respawn of fast headcrabs in the mine;
- Removed the infinite respawn at level where Alyx is on the square a long time fiddling with opening the gate and at this time the combines are attacks continuously from two opposite sides. Now you can kill few combines and wait for Alyx opens the gate and only after she tells you to knock out the energy ball with gravity-gun, the combines will attacks constantly;
- Removed the infinite respawn of striders;
- Removed the infinite respawn of combines at level with the horse statue where the combines shoots from the roof of dilapidated building and then strider breaks a wall for the passage. NOTE: Don't kill this strider until he breaks the wall.
- Changes for Episode 1 maps:
- At all levels removed respawnes of antlions, zombies, combines, striders. Therefore on some levels a gameplay was changed. Example, now at some maps the gate is initially opened and others are closed and player must find another way to enter into it.
- Changes for Episode 2 maps:
- At level where player must get ant's extract for Alyx, the Antlion Guard can be killed;
- Removed unlimited respawn at level where Gordon and Alyx get ambushed in the house (when Gordon goes with Alyx on the road and close to home the force field is activated). The gameplay at this map piece is also changed a little bit;
- Changed the ending at final map.
Just rewrite the content of corresponding folder (Part1, Part2, Part3) into the folder with Half-Life 2 game (there, where the hl2.exe file placed).
NOTE! This mod requires the Source Engine 2013 (Source Engine 24). The 2-nd part requires the installed "Half-Life 2 Update" mod, otherwise it will not work properly.
v1.0: The first release.
- Fixed bugs with disabled transparent fading, when:
- some transparent objects were not transparent;
- some objects (eg. windows) were drawing as white rectangles;
- some objects were blinking;
- some lights were too bright;
- Broken window glass will not fade (if rivarez_fadegibs = 0);
- Dynamic lights were reworked. New flexible setting of dynamic lighting, including automatic configuration to achieve the specified FPS;
- The AR2(movable and stationary) weapons and turrets have a blue muzzleflash and blue dynamic lights. Also these effects appears when NPCs shoots with AR2;
- The shotgun and revolver shoots with more powerful flash than other weapons;
- Reworked commanding of friendly NPCs. Fixed situations when NPCs (eg. Alyx, Barney) didn't want to perform the “Wait here”