Meet a new state of the famous thrilling first person shooter - PARANOIA is released now as a stand-alone game, using a power of Xash3D Engine. You can now just download it, install, and play - without a necessity to perform any additional actions or have any additional resources. This release was created with a permission from BuZZeR, the main developer of PARANOIA. It doesn't contain any gameplay changes in comparsion with original PARANOIA mod, but it's now stand-alone and also can use all advantages and conveniences of Xash3D Engine. For example, it will be a bit simplier now to create easy installable mappacks or mods for PARANOIA without a need to include with them any duplicated files from initial game or copy their files over it. The offered installer contains two versions of the game localization - Russian and English. You also will be able to install some more suitable graphic files for wide-screen monitors (with a screen aspect 16:9, or close to this) if you own such one.
PARANOIA: The Game Editon v1.2.2
This release is a pretty simple port of original PARANOIA mod v1.2 for Half-Life to Xash3D Engine. It allows you to play PARANOIA as a standalone game right after installing. All required resources are provided with the game, Half-Life or even Steam are not needed. Xash3D Engine (build 2664) used here is a powerful experimental open-sourced clone of GoldSource Engine (original Half-Life game engine) that allow you to play many of already existing Half-Life mods (foremost singleplayer ones) with a new quality of gaming experience, and also it makes possible a creating of new games and mods with a lot of exclusive and exciting features, which are not avaliable for usual GoldSrc mods.
This product is provided as it is, without any fees or warranties. All contents of this product are property of their respective owners. It is not a commercial product, and intended only for personal reference and educational purposes. Please, support developers and buy original Half-Life if you like this game and hope to play more good games in the future. Also don't forget to find more information about PARANOIA and Xash3D Engine. Your interest and support are very important for independent developers too.
VALVe Corporation and all Half-Life Team.
PARANOIA TEAM and personally BuZZeR.
Xash3D/XashXT Team and personally Unkle Mike.
Thanks for anyone, who helped with anything :)
Same as for original PARANOIA mod. Your video card should support OpenGL. Also, the game is most stable with Windows XP because PARANOIA's code was initially optimized and tested to work only with this OS. Using of newer versions of Windows can cause unstable work of the game in some cases. Unfortunately, there is no surefire solution to fix this problem now. But you can try to use a compatibility mode for paranoia.exe as a possible method.
At the first time the game starts in the windowed mode with low screen resolution (800x600). Check the "Configuration" menu to change default settings to that you prefere. Most settings of the game are the same as for original Half-Life (including console commands and command line parameters). Please note, that it's recommended to restart the application after changing a screen resolution before you launch a game (otherwise you will get a bug with freezing of the game when you try to read diaries). For information about exclusive and advanced Xash3D's features please refer to included Xash3D's documentation (look for it in "docs" folder inside of the main game's directory or check online sources of information).
- Minor fixes.
- New HUD for game menu and console.
- Background screens with using of "living" parts of game maps (if you prefer to have a classic static background, then delete paranoia\scripts\chapterbackgrounds.txt file).
- With Xash3D Engine it's absolutely safe now to use a modified opengl32.dll, which is required for new PARANOIA's visual effects (with Steam you might be VAC banned for this).
- Thanks to Xash3D Engine it's possible now to use for game models and maps full-color high-resolution textures, up to 4096x4096 pixels (it's a potential possibility, such textures themselves are not included in the game's files).
- Added a pack of player's models (just in case, there is no multiplayer mode still) by OLAF - PARANOIA ALPHA CT PACK REANIMATED (HLDM VERSION).
FEATURES OF VERSION 1.2.2
- Updated files of the game engine up to version 0.96, build 2664.
- Default value of fps_max parameter is limited now by 100 frames per second (to avoid problems with animation of monsters and NPCs).
- Levelshots (loading screens) for background maps of the game menu are removed from installation files (new version of the engine automatically creates optimal levelshots separately for common and widescreen display modes).
- Gamma.dat file is removed from installation files (it must be automatically generated by the engine to include personal values of desktop gamma settings).
- Game may crash randomly without any apparent reason. It's an initial problem of "Paranoia". Save your game often to do not lose your progress (however, there also present autosaving points too).
- If the game crashes to the desktop by any reason, you can experience a problem with changing of the system gamma to those parameters which were set in the game before. To restore system gamma to previous values you just need to start the game once again and quit it normally. The gamma will be restored automatically. Also, you can open opengl.cfg file in "paranoia" folder and change gl_ignorehwgamma parameter to "1". So the game will not affect system parameters of the gamma at all, but a range of changing the gamma in the game will be significantly reduced.
- In certain cases you can encounter an effect of fullbright models, i. e. some game models can look entirely lit, even if there is no related source of light. Unfortunately, a cause of this bug is unknown yet and there is no proven solution to fix it. Supposedly, it can be caused by some specific video cards' features or video driver settings.
- Your teammates may sometimes "freeze" in a process of opening a door. This can be caused by inappropriate limitation of the frames' refreshing rate. Too high FPS values also can cause an effect of wrong moving animation of monsters and NPCs. So it's not recommended to change a specified value of fps_max limit parameter (it also may be altered by enabling of a vertical synchronization option). Optimal tested values of fps_max for the game are 60 or 100.
- Digital sound processing option (DSP effects) - it's an experimental feature in audiosettings of Xash3D. If it's enabled, you may hear some sounds in any point of a current map, ignoring an actual distance to them.
Half-Life page at Steam service
Official site of PARANOIA TEAM
PARANOIA mod's profile at ModDB
PARANOIA's customization section at GameBanana
Official forum of Xash3D/XashXT
Xash3D Engine's profile at ModDB