New Portal 2 Community Maps Now Available
Valve’s Portal 2 Summer Mapping initiative is over. If you weren’t aware of it, it was basically Valve tasking the community with creating the best custom test chambers they could.
Now Valve’s ended the contest and announced the winners. The first-place winner is “Patent Pending” by ebola. It’s a 30 minute run through hard light surfaces, discouragement beams and excursion funnels.
Second place was “Infinifling” by MrTwoVideoCards, which is a test of your ability to use mid-air portals to cross huge bottomless pits.
Third place was awarded to “Edifice,” created by user Omnicoder. It’s described as a “medium hard, fairly long map” set in a destroyed section of Aperture Science.
The winners received all sorts of Portal 2 goodies from Valve, including real-life Aperture Science Gels.
The upside to this contest for all of us Portal 2 owners is that we can now grab these maps, along with lots of runners-up, from the Portal community site, ThinkingWithPortals. Once you’ve got the maps, follow the instructions below (provided by Valve) to play them.
1. Download the map file from ThinkingWithPortals.com.
2. Open up the .ZIP file after it has downloaded.
3. Find the location of your Portal 2 installation on Steam. This is most typically found under:
Windows PC users: C:Program FilesValveSteamsteamappscommonportal 2maps.
Mac users: ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Portal 2/portal2/maps
Note that your installation location may vary, depending on your initial install directory.
4. Copy the .BSP file located in the downloaded file to the directory above.
5. Start Portal 2
6. In the game‘s main menu, select “Options->Keyboard and Mouse”
7. Set Allow Developer Console to Enabled
8. Press the tilde (~) key to access the console
9. Type map “mapname here”
10. Solve the puzzle!
If these maps aren’t enough to satisfy your need for more Portal 2, perhaps our Top 10 Portal 2 mods will help satiate you.