Old School: Hexen II Port on PSP
Anyone remember the Hexen series? C’mon, you know you do. Swords, spells, all sorts of enemies, and it was one of the coolest first person shooters of the day. It’s only been 10 years since it launched! Heck, if you still don’t remember, you can find out pretty easily what it was all about. Check out the official id Software page, where you’ll learn that:
The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse lurk in the shadows before you. They are Death, Pestilence, Famine, and War. They are the root of all that is evil. They are the least of your worries. The last know Serpent Rider, Eidolon, lives. As the Necromancer, the Assassin, the Crusader, or the Paladin, you must defeat the dark generals and their Hell-spawned legions before you can face the Archfiend and attempt to end his ravenous onslaught. Go in peace and you will surely die.
Hexen II is back, in a way. A PSP port of the classic title is now available. It’s based on the Quake PSP port, and on the original Hexen II source code.
At least for me, I’m going to have to have this one. Since I haven’t been able to find a whole lot to tide me over on the PSP, Hexen II would definitely occupy some downtime for me. The notes on the port are after the jump.
This is a port of Raven Software’s Hexen II to the PSP. Based on PSP Quake port by Peter Mackay and original Hexen II source code released under GNU GPL License. Compiled and linked with PSPDev Environment for Win32.
- Software rendering.
- Single player game and Portal of Praevus single player game
- Console commands
- Command line commands (through ‘hexen2.cmdline’ file)
- Multiple screen resolutions (trough command line params)
- User made maps loading (from console or command line params)
- Demo recording and playback (from console)
- On Screen Keyboard
- Music playback
- Multi player
(creating multi player game works)
- No progress bar displayed when starting/loading/saving game
(disabled because of stability problems)
- Restart or reload of a current map necessary if value of console variable
‘r_transwater’ is changed (otherwise water surfaces will not be rendered correctly)
- User made mods with modified progs.dat files will not work
- Sprite models with width or height that is not multiple of 4 can cause game to crash
- Some weird graphical artifacts can be observed sometimes