Paul McCartney Is Composing Music For An As-Yet Unknown Video Game
Face it, everybody: Of all The Beatles, the one with the most impressive musical talent was Paul McCartney. Yeah, I said it. The man wrote more incredibly complex and extremely memorably tunes in 8 short years than an army of songsmiths could write in a single lifetime. His only crime is that he kind of sucked at writing about politics and spirituality, two things people cared a lot about in the 60s. Also, he long ago kind of turned into the cheesy goofball his detractors always said he was.
Even so, one hopes he might pull it out and actually write interesting music again. Maybe the thing he needs is to be taken out of creative comfort zone, kind of like when he recorded an album with Nigel Godrich and it didn’t suck. Perhaps writing for a video game? Lo and behold, it’s happening! In an interview with the German-language publication Zeit (‘Time’, auf Deutsch), he was asked if he’d ever consider writing for a game and revealed that he already is.
McCartney said it was an exciting opportunity for him, and a chance to reach a new audience. While confirming that he’s never actually played video games, he gets how big they are, noting that video games outsell records these days. Way to be modern, gramps! Now the only question is, what’s the game? Some clues:
* He’s obviously been given permission to speak about it, so either the developer is not keeping it under wraps, or they’re hoping to build early buzz.
* Macca’s statements in the interview indicate that he’s still in the compositional stages. However, writing music for a kind of like scoring a film, so he’s almost certainly looking at footage from something that is at least alpha.
* It’s probably not a music based game. This sounds like a real soundtrack.
* We can also rule out any small publisher, since Sir Paul didn’t become almost a billionaire by working for scale.
* We can probably rule out anything like Grand Theft Auto, given his politics.
I can’t speculate on the studio – this list of the world’s most successful developers might be a good place to start – but I wouldn’t be shocked if this is a late 2012 or early 2013 release. I suppose we’ll have an official announcement soon, and you’ll be updated as soon as we know. Let us know in comments if you have any ideas.
*Note: I will ignore you if you do because I can’t have my opinions challenged or I’ll cry.