PAX 2010: Star Wars: The Old Republic Video Preview
At PAX yesterday, Dallas Dickinson (right), Director of Production for BioWare in Austin, Texas and Blaine Christine (left), Senior Producer for BioWare unloaded a metric ton of information on Star Wars: The Old Republic. If you’re looking to get a handle on the game‘s features, story, classes, etc., you’ve come to the right place.
We captured the entire fifty-three minute presentation on video (embedded below). We’ve also provided descriptions of each of the segments in the video, along with time stamps in case you want to jump around this massive beast. The video includes 2 live gameplay demos, several segments highlighting all 8 playable classes, followed by a final Q&A session with lead writer Dan Erickson. Phew! It was an information-packed hour, to be sure.
For a little background, Dickinson described SW: The Old Republic thusly:
A story-driven, massively multiplayer role-playing game, set several thousand years before the movies, and several hundred years after the original Knights of the Old Republic.
Republic Class Info (Advanced Classes We Saw)
- Trooper Class: Advanced class. He’s the Commando/tank version of that class.
- Smuggler: Gunslinger Advanced Class, dualwielding blasters.
- Jedi Knight: DPS build, dualwielding light sabers. Takes out secondary enemies, cleans up the trash.
- Jedi Consular: Wizard Advanced Class. Focuses on healing.
Other Stuff We Noticed:
- First fully voiced MMO. Every NPC and character has full voice acting.
- Action-packed combat. They want you to feel heroic. Lightsabers actually clash, etc.
- The Smuggler class will have a unique “cover” system for combat.
- Party Decisions: During quests, you will have to collectively decide on a course of action with your party. You will essentially “vote” on party decisions, using the Mass Effect-style dialog trees. If your party decides on a “dark side” path, but you’re a light side character, you still get your light side points.
- There is a difference between “Factions,” and “Morality.” If you want to play a light side Sith, go ahead. It’ll be tough, but you can do it. If you want to be a totally evil Jedi Knight, feel free
Segment 1 (2:25).
First gameplay demo. Four Advanced Classes (Jedi Knight, Smuggler, Troopher and Jedi Consular fight some Republic forces on a ship).
Segment 2 (12:50)
Jedi Knight, Jedi Consular – start out ancient homeworld of Typhon where the Jedi Order is building a new temple. They are confronted by enemies.
Segment 3 (15:17).
Jedi sent into the heart of Typhon to forge a new lightsaber.
Segment 4 (16:40).
Meanwhile on the outer rim, the Trooper and Smuggler classes are fighting off the republic.
Segment 5 (18:08).
All 4 classes end up on the republic capital planet of Coruscant. The republic is recovering the beating it took during the war, when the Jedi temple was destroyed by Sith Lord Darth Malgus. You set out to stop the production of “slave collars” by the republic.
Segment 6 (22:05)
Imperial characters classes are introduced. Home planet of Dromund Kaas. They’re about to raid the complex of renegade Sith Lord Grathum. Different style of negotiation.
Segment 7 (25:25)
Highlighting the imperial planet of Nar Shaddaa, a central hub of underworld activities. Empire forces are trying to secure an alliance with the huts. There’s also mention of a complex created for a “Darth Rivan,” which should ring a bell from the original Knights of the Old Republic.
Segment 8 (28:08)
Return to Alderaan, where the Republic and the Empire are backing opposing sides of a bloody civil war. Republic and Imperial heroes will square off against each other in this PvP quest.
Segment 9 (31:34)
Second gameplay demonstration, this time with people pulled up from the audience!
Segment 10 (38:00)
A cinematic featuring Darth Rivan’s final fate…and the appearance by HK 47!
Segment 11 (39:00)
Fan Q&A with lead writer Dan Erickson. There’s some good ones in there.